How did MTH get theTriplex design?

John Carmichael

I've always been curious as to how MTH was able to create its model design for the Triplex since all the original Triplexes were scrapped many years ago and none existed when MTH came out with the models.  But a few old photographs still exist.  Wouldn't MTH have also needed copies of the original engineering blueprints?  Does anybody know if they designed the models using just the old photographs or did they have the original blueprints too?

just curious...

All the Triplexes were built by Baldwin (3 for Erie and 1 for Virginian) and would guess that all the blueprints exist somewhere and were used for the models.  I don't know for certain but that is my guess.

MTH made the triplex because the engine is very popular in O gauge and continually see the engine coming up for new production runs in new catalogs.  So the decision was based on what they know is popular overall based on their other product lines.  It is a model that is hit or miss for people, you either really like it or don't but overall it has proven to be a popular design.  The triplex was the second HO steam locomotive MTH released when they first started producing HO engines (http://mthtrains.com/news/316) This was again because of popularity.

I will say that when I first saw the model announced, I had zero interest. I just wanted modern diesels. I got one by chance and the thing is a beast. It will pull or push any train I throw at it.

Because almost all my guests prefer steamers, it has become my go to engine outside. I just have to be careful when she's pushing a big train with weak headend power. She'll shove everything including those weaker engines. I'm hoping the new Bigboy will produce some big headend power to match her. Otherwise, I may have to throw two or three Challengers up front to be safe. I put a single Hudson up front and that was a big mistake. Even a single Challenger isn't enough up front on big grades with long trains.