USA Trains Hudson Front Coupler Modification

John Carmichael

Here is how I modified the drop down USA Trains Hudson front coupler so that it has a working G scale Kadee #904 straight shank coupler.  I drilled a 1/8" hole 3/8" from the end of the shank and sandwitched it between two 3/8" flat brass washers.  Using a longer version of the existing steel bolt, I tightened the bolt snugly, but just tight enough to allow side to side swivel. Then I oiled it.  A smaller hole was drilled near the knuckle for the chain fastener. The coupler no longer functions as a drop down which is unavoidable with the large Kadee G scale knuckles. Only the smaller Kadee 1 scale (1/32) straight shank couplers can be used as a drop down.

This arrangement has a 22.9 degree range of motion (11.4 degrees left or right).  It allows me to push or pull my other Kadee equipped cars without derailing in my tightest  curves (R = 5 ft.).

HUDSON FRONT COUPLER- Range of Swivel Motion.jpg

I used a somewhat similar arrangement for the Triplex front coupler (left side in photo below.  It is coupled to the protocoupler on my USAT Hudson tender on right):

Triplex Front Coupler Modification B-3.JPG

Triplex Front Coupler Modification B-4.JPG

Since I'm fairly new to the forum, I'm under the impression that most forum MTH engine owners only make trains using matching 1/32 one gauge rolling stock with 1/32 one gauge couplers.  I totally understand their desire to have both engines and stock and couplers in the same scale.  So I almost didn't post this coupler conversion thinking nobody would be interested. I would have bet that there are many MTH engine owners like me who already have lots G scale rolling stock and would prefer to use their existing G scale stock with MTH one scale engines, even if the scales don't match.  My goal in this coupler conversion was to be able to make a lash up with the Hudson and the Triplex and use my G scale stock in a train.  By the way, I think there is an added benefit in using the G scale Kadees with MTH engines- They mate up better than the Kadee 1/32 one gauge couplers do with the large MTH Protocouplers which look more like G scale anyway...

I wonder if Sean and I are about the only ones who need G scale front couplers on our MTH engines?

John

Sorry  BUT I do not own any MTH g scale engines.

A couple O scale... but no g scale.

Most are USA engines ..as I work real close to Charles Ro  (USA company)

I might do your idea on my USA Hudson though....:ph34r:

I'm switching my MTH couplers over to KD's. It's a major decision I still have to make deciding on G scale or #1 scale couplers. They are set up for the #1 scale. The outdoor layout with it's frost heaves and bumps, makes me think that the bigger, oversized coupler would be better.

I would love to John as I love the ability to drop of trains via the remote. I have broken at least six of them now for various reasons. It's getting where I don't trust them under very heavy loads. I will probably have to replace them with KDs for extra strength. I will still keep them where they hold up on shorter trains and with switchers.

I use the G scale Kadee's...mainly the 906, 907 & 908's as like John posted they work well with the MTH ProtoCouplers...and the G couplers won't slide up over one another when the track dips esp. with long cars.