Lighting up a K4

Screwy Nick

I have no room in the cab as it is stuffed with R/C gear. There is a control box on the pilot which is a solid casting. Fashioned a box from brass and doll house hinges to hold the batterys & switch. All wire is in tubing directed to it. The pilot markers which I thought was going to be more difficult turned out to be fairly easy. I did the tender a few years ago when I had it open to add pipe and valves for propane use. Going to let the paint cure a couple of days before heat testing it. 

Umef8kmFTUGYqQkR7f4ukA.jpg

pBOAUcCBRd2mtiEKmF7PNQ.jpg

wWGpgfFaSz6lGrL%FMis6g.jpg

zTIcGkcGQhC5b23BlrFt0Q.jpg

Thank You, today painting the control box. Tomorrow bring all the wiring into the box, install batteries and switches.  

NOTE:  the 'voice response' on my fire stick: I say TRAINS, presently watching a Challenger on an excursion with Elvis as the fireman.  That outfit won't be white for very log. 

Jan, :  Desoldering wire looks too good to let it go. I stretched it as much as I could, still seemed a bit wide.  I rubbed CA adhesive along both sides, letting it set for a few hours then will attempt to cut it in half again.  Will let you know.  

Nick, I'm sure this will be good, the main thing is that it gives you pleasure. And please stroke bug from me. Max and Moritz are sleeping right now.

Regards

Jan

Ps.

I have to run my train again, I haven't done anything for months, somehow the fun has passed me, I'm always amazed at what you do....

I WILL find a place for the ground strap, and like lightening rod connections will be plain brass, show up better.

I'm glad you like and follow what I do, and YES I do get a lot of pleasure from my trains, do a little something every day.  

I also have gotten into a low spot with my hobby, but thankfully it doesn't last long. I'm just about out of ideas, for now, but sure something will inspire me soon.

Glad to hear Max and Moritz are well, Bug sends WELL WISHES.  

I have been enjoying these other hobbies .... A 1988 John Deere garden tractor with a 42: Snow Thrower, My pike is under 3" of ice  ...

My side kick just turned 15 on the 14th ... .. and the two Mini Horses...I get my train fix from Nick and others..Oh Ya two grandsons...

P1310056.JPG

P5200019.thumb.JPG.b2044c2abca89bee70ce2c9caa6073de.JPG

P1200029.JPG

Horses: a person in my past owned a Jumper, he was a giant of a horse, but gentle as a lamb.  He could read a persons temperament and if he didn't like you he made it known to stay away from him.  Your companion doesn't look his age, but I bet he/she is a firecracker, they are the best.   

Trains: very frustrating morning, two 'swinging' problems with the lighting, one bad switch wire that was broken under the insulation and would make/break as it was moved.  Just when I thought that was all, one of the marker lights pair was shorting out on the edge of the pipe causing an occasional dimming, till it finally broke.  Some days are more fun that others, right Chuck??

I FINALLY finished the K4, and am pleased with the outcome.  

Pic is on the brightly lit workbench, so the markers will definately visible in day light.  The switch is secured to the side of the box, the holders are wired in parallel and can be easily lifted out to replace the batteries. Think I found the perfect spot for the ground strap, rear of the box, close to the edge, so it is visible.  EDIT: have since straightened the box. 

EDIT 2: Jan, the strap fell apart as I attempted to attach it, will make another this time using solder to keep the weave together.  

glSm2YdXQyWJHcNlLNWRNA.jpg

cRtryYwBRiiqhzuBoXzAkA.jpg

All good Nick, the one with the grounding cable should actually be a joke....it was a self-runner. But I can think of something else... The box should actually be lashed with small chains....:), otherwise it falls down

Greets

Jan

Try this…

Chains

My humor is strange, but I think that a box was somehow fixed, it came later and it was probably not welded, so either screws or tensioned with chains or ropes. I'm looking for a picture....

Regards 

Jan

1BBF3517-AEFE-48E7-B2AF-489A6628AD14.jpeg