Lighting up a K4

Screwy Nick

Take this,

„The box on the pilot beam of 5399 is the valve gear drive mechanism, not train control.  This is a common feature of all locomotives equipped with the oscillating cam form of poppet valve gear.  The later rotary cam poppet valve gear had a different configuration.

Also, DBHP on PRR usually means DBHP at the rear of the locomotive on the Altoona test plant, not at the rear of the tender.“

Box

Nick, You're right as it contains the Train Control Box. On some K4's it was mounted under the running board on the engineers side. Contained the radio electronics for being able to communicate to both towers and rear end via telegraph/ telephone wires. And it also controlled the cab visual signals that coincided with the block signals via the rails. The PRR was quite unique to implement all that "back in the day."

Poppet valve were tested briefly on only 1 K4 and the results were amazing!

Starting about here they explain how it works.

Someone on another forum answered my ??.  Over simplified: it duplicates the track side signal into the cab of the locomotive, ALSO allowed communications between trains, control towers and the caboose.  Included in the info was this pic showing the actual relays and components.

SEE NEXT POST2142494256_K4TrainContol.thumb.jpg.51621b1dfbe1465fd2dd000fb4c92b34.jpg

I read the entire document and found it captivating. To sum it up: The signal was transmitted down the rails with AC of different cycles in blocks. It activated the wire spring relays and the resulting signal sent to the cab and caboose. Also activated an audible alarm to alert the engineer if he had to slow the train. I started in telecommunications with wire spring relays so am familiar, and may not be widly known, Disney's animated figures orignated using relays. I was told Walt lured techs from the Bell system to install and maintain the equipment. Of course today a totally different story. 

Jan,  THANK YOU,  ya know I love those news reels.  Will watch this one several times.  It mentioned updates to the 'train control' that were added.  The 6 second time limit to respond to the alert, the automatic train slowing feature and the tape graphic record of the trains actions. That could be considered the origin of today's Flight Data Recorders.  Amazing stuff for the time period.