USA Hudson - Sound only working in reverse?

Nickster99

This is only Hudson discussion I could find on this forum, so I will ask I just acquired a used usa trains Hudson NYC .

It looks great, motor run great, but sound only works in reverse direction with smoke switch turned on?

Hi there Nick and welcome. 

I assume your engine still hast he original Phoenix sound in it.  Based on what you are describing my first guess is that there is either a wire loose and has broken off or the wiring has been changed.  How comfortable are you with opening up the engine yourself?  (on the USA there are two screws on the back on the bottom of the engine and one in the center front and the boiler will lift off.)  I would be curious if it looked like any of the factory wiring had been modified. Maybe you could post some pics?  I would say if you can open it up, look for any loose or broken wires then we could maybe move to checking out to make sure all the wires are connected properly to the phoenix board inside. 

You've got yourself a good loco.

As Ray says it could be something simple and the model isn't difficult to work on.

If you're not confident of taking a look yourself it shouldn't take a professional repair service very long to get to the cause of the problem. In the unlikely event of the sound board having a fault Phoenix's in house repair charges are very reasonable.

In view of the retail price of new examples, in my opinion, it's well worth getting it fixed.

I purchased the Hudson with out the sound board, and installed it later.  There was a wiring change to be made to the smoke unit to make it PUFF in sync with the sound.  If as Chuck asked, if it doesn't work at all with the smoke off, I'd check that first.   

Thanks all for advice , Rayman4449 I just sent you email did not realize folks had responded to my post .

I will open it up if simple as suggested , comfortable with electronics as well , but hoping it had been seen before.

The fact that it works only in reverse, with smoke unit on seems to follow that it could be related to syncing with puff.

Nick

To add another question , after I get this engines sound working properly I would at some point like to add the ability to use a battery.

Switch out wheel contacts and switch in battery car on MU plug. I have seen some posts around this but not detail yet, still looking.

You will want to intercept the wires going from the track power pickups and route them to a new series of wires for the battery power to the back of the tender.  I don't have specific info or photos for a battery conversion on the USA Hudson as I haven't done one yet.

When I talked to Charles Ro about wiring diagrams and exploded parts diagrams for the Big Boy they said that they don't even have them! I'm inclined to believe it. These engines are contracted by USA Trains / Charles Ro but from what I understand they are entirely designed and built in China.

If you're wanting to get at least somewhat of an understanding of the wiring, I would ID the Phoenix board you have in the engine then go to the Phoenix Sounds website and lookup the wiring info for that board.  That will at least give you some idea.  The ones I have here have had the original Phoenix board and smoke units pulled out and replaced so I don't have anything here I can help reference.