MTH new 2013 catalog

enginear joe

I agree, Joe!  I think their rolling stock is looking good.  Hopefully they realized that they need to pay closer attention to their coloring hues and to produce more realistic paint  jobs. Perhaps O gauge and Lionel had to much influence on their paint coloring?  Also, I know LGB and others were successful in marketing Coke, Morton Salt, etc., but I don't think they should get too crazy with the M&M kind of stuff.  Most large scale trains are purchased by adults for adults and  I think MTH needs to keep this in mind. A little bit of "Thomas" is ok, just don't go over board with it. I'm like you; I'm excited to see the rest of the catalog!

Well I dabbled a little and just ordered 1 thing for now. I wanted the Amtrak cars, more tankers, several more (4) diesels....... Rats no new diesel.

I also wished they released more TOFCs and at least a new car. Maybe if these sell good they'll dive back into G? It's still tuff to watch all the other scales get so much.

Hey Joe,  I think this underscores just how hard hit sales in this scale were.  We got used to MTH always coming out with multiple new engines per catalog for sure and this is more like what some of the other G scale mfg usually do is a reproduction of the same engines.  The economy still isn't great and in time I'm certain we will see some new production.  The fact they are even producing this shows they intend to keep the line alive.  We are going to have to face the fact that we are a niche market and cost/slow product rollout that goes along with it.

Yeah, I agree. I had hoped for a new ACe. With all the ramblings on about it coming, I actually believed it was. I'll still hope for a new diesel soon. Maybe with a new small steamer they were contemplating by the next catalog.

I may just have to scratch build a more modern diesel switcher too.

It sure is a niche market, especially because there is the 1/32 scale aproach, however the feeling I get, from reading forums and such (not only this one) is that the 1/32 scale comunity has risen to the chalenge and is beggining to speak out for itself, which I feel is positive. After all most 1/29 scale afficionados mix it  generously with 1/24 scale narrow gauge, so I guess it doesn't bother them too much to mix in some 1/32 scale wereas my opinion is that 1/32 scale modelers are much more discerning. The fact that we are now making that scale more present in the garden railway forums, is making the position of 1/29 scale much more on the defensive side, even though they are probably still a majority. I find the fact that neither USA trains nor Aristo craft have announced much new products, seems to reflect the fact that a lot of potential modelers out there are thinking that since 1/29 isn't the right scale, they have been misled and that the superior quality products that MTH is offering makes them think twice about scale. For my generation (born in 1950) which saw the general acceptance of RP25 wheel sets, scale rail height and kadee couplers, being adopted by the industry against their precedent mistakes (coarse scale wheel standards, code 100 rail and X2F couplers) this nonsense about 1/29th scale seems absolutely ridiculous. It ought to be phased out in about five years... Keep up flying the flag fellow scale modelers people need to know we exist. Like I said to many of my friends who bought a lot of 1/29 scale stuff twenty years ago, there is E bay, you can sell it and get correct scale stuff now that it is becoming available. In any case it is heart warming to see MTH turn out a new G scale catalogue before the last two names mentioned. And that gentelmen proves that we just might not be such a niche market after all. Just the quality of MTH stuff in regards to the price seems a very favourable ratio. Long live MTH Gauge one!

du-bousquetaire

I've been trying to think of anything I could say to add, I've got nothing. It's just that well written.

The basher's are saying "too small" and "near O gauge". They're scrambling for safety in numbers. I'll never get how they can have so many gauges on the track, but 1/32 is not allowed?

I wish I could honestly say that  "Yes I am discerning"  but in reality I know that wouldn't be true.  I have LGB, Aristo, Bachmann, and MTH. I even have some LGB, Aristo, and Bachmann locos converted to DCS. Perhaps with a few exceptions, I think I am pretty much commtted to staying with MTH. My reason is value, I feel MTH gives me the best value for my money. Another reason  I couldn't be discerning is I have a sickness.  enginear joe loves diesels. Good!  My problem is I love diesels too. But, I also love steam and electrics too. And not just american!  I love the european stuff as well!  Now that's just sick!  I do think however that the live steam guys and european modelers are a discerning bunch. 

As far as bashing 1/32 or MTH, I could care less.  No one buys me trains. No one pays for them.  Ever notice that the live steam guys and those in Europe rarely get sucked into these ridiculous arguments?  Why don't they?  Because they are as stated above; they are discerning! And I mean that too!  Oh, and plus, they aren't dumb. How can you have any kind of a discussion when almost everything said is absurd?   Example: "Too small".  OK, I can understand that.  However, I don't understand how one could utter that and also state he models in Z scale. Is it me or is it something crazy?  Example: "Near O gauge"  OK. I can understand that.  "Near" is a relative term, but I'll go with it. So, 1/32 is "near" O gauge, but it is "NEARER" to 1/29. So then how far away can 1/29 be from O gauge???  Is it just me again or something crazy???

I think I figured it out:  God is Great, Beer is Good, and PEOPLE are CRAZY!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Edited by Cyborg1