MTH new 2013 catalog

enginear joe

It was not long after the Triplex was produced that the economic collapse occurred which pulled the rug out of largescale sales.  It was also not long afterwards you saw the big G scale retailers that relied on sales volume for their existence close-up.  The Triplex was a big seller in O gauge and they have had more than one production run of that model in that gauge.  I'm pretty sure MTH went down the list of some of their bigger sellers in O gauge to produce first in One Gauge.  The thing that actually amazed me with the Triplex was I probably got more email inquiries from people asking pre-purchase questions about that engine then any of the others combined.  I got a lot on the Big Boy, but the volume of interest in the triplex surprised me.  

Interesting insight on the 1:32 and the European market.  That may very well be another big reason why MTH went 1:32, maybe figuring their products will have a more overall marketability that way.  With regards to production of the same prototype models, on the surface it might seem like an issue but when you look and really compare the models available (price point, scale and features) I have seen them as being in different categories.  

USA Trains(1:29): Big Boy=($3500), | Hudson=($2k)   | 

Accucraft   (1:32): Big Boy=(~$2200)|                          | Daylight=($3000-no sound or smoke)

MTH          (1:32): Big Boy=($1000),  | Hudson=($650)| Daylight=($750-full sound, smoke, lights)

Only one version is avail of, USRA Mallet, Challenger, Triplex, Aristo Mikado, Aristo Pacific, Aristo 2-8-0 to name a few.  There is really a very limited selection of steam models to choose from.  Accucraft as continued to make new and different models but they are mostly $3k+

Given the difference in price-point, features and scale, I feel any cannibalization of sales is minimal.  The market for $3k+ engines is a lot smaller than the sub $1k versions and in the latter market there is no overlap in steam (some in diesel, but they are in different scales).  If there was one thing I would say that probably does hurt the companies in the market some is the fact you have two different primary scales being produced.  You have a certain amount of people buying one or the other but limiting the mixing of the two. I think as time has gone on I'm seeing more and more people buying both scales and running both on their layouts as I do.  

I can understand the attraction of the adherence to true-to live prototypes and for myself I did a number of things on my own layout to achieve what I could given the space I had available.  I will say that of the individuals I have corresponded with in Europe, they do seem to generally have a higher level (higher end) product running on their layouts.  I regularly see pictures, of finely crafted 1:32, Pennsy T-1s, K4s and associated rolling stock.  On the tightness of layout curves I was like you in wanting to run big engines and have them look as realistic as possible.  I think the reality with many in the hobby tho is that the use of yard space is limited and is also a compromise with their spouses so they have even less space avail.  The rest are just more far more relaxed on what they want to run and how they run it as the sales of the Aristocraft Eggliner proves.  Aristo seems to sell alot of those little guys and people seem to love'm.  While I have never had any personal interest in them, I have purchased a couple of LGB fan powered 'flyers' that I get a big kick out of running.  So much so I fully outfit them DCS digital control!  As silly as they are and as impressive as a 3 big boy train pulling 100ft of coal cars is, I got more questions on the the little fan powered LGB than anything else.  

Yeap, I was recently suggested to go with 20' curves in the future so I could run a USA bigboy. My biggest curve in the house is the 11' ones from Aristo. So you might expect me to go big outside right? My yard is only 64' wide! - fencing and landscape. So unless you're in the rural areas around me, you can't get crazy big with curves and layouts. I wouldn't mind moving to a bigger lot to make a dream layout. For now, I'm thinking of the 15 footers or hand bent flex.

I was at MTH in Maryland talking with their sales rep lamenting how hard it was to find One-Gauge stuff. That when looking on MTH's WEB site, the dealers that were reported to have One-Gauge, did not have any in stock but said, "We can get it for you." He said he was discourage with One-Gauge sales as dealers did not want to carry it because of
the poor economy and expense / room required to stock One-Gauge. I told him that I had hoped to at least see one in person before paying $1,000+. No one in my area of 100 miles had any set up nor did they want to take it out of the box if they did. He said he was thinking about going direct sales with customers and supply train shops only if they wanted to emphasize the One-Gauge product. To MTHs credit (because of lack of dealer support), they allowed me to pick up my Triplex and VO 1000 at the factory because I wanted to eliminate damage that seemed to readily occur through shipping; especially the large heavy steam engines. I did however have to go through a dealer for the stuff that wasn't specifically related to One-Gauge; like the DCS and Z4000 (fair enough). I am also using them for service as other MTH dealers told me "If you send your engine back here for service we are only going to send it to MTH; you will get it back faster if you send it direct. So that is what I have done. MTH has a walk-in service so I coordinate with them before I drove to MD in hopes they would work on it while I was there (unless they needed a part they do not have). So far it has worked well and I hope I am developing a positive relationship with them.

As a side note, MTH's train room does not have a One-Gauge track; just One-Gauge engines on display. They took me out back to their test track and put my VO 1000 on it so I could actually see one operate. I was looking for a DASH-8 at the time, which they had on display, so I tried to talk them out of it saying it wasn't doing any good just letting it be a roundhouse queen. They just chuckled and didn't through me out; so I was happy.

I was wondering how many different MTH One-Gauge items there were (Steam, Diesel, Box cars, Tank Cars, Passenger Cars, Road names etc.)? Looking on the MTH WEB site I found 180 Engine and 373 rolling stock item numbers. This is a lot more than I expected. However, I suspect you cannot find most of them.

I'm honestly not surprised that most of their dealer network doesn't keep stock, especially the bulk of their existing network which is made up of primarily O gauge dealers.  I'm a full dealer now and I don't keep stock on any product outside of TIUs, Remotes and repair parts...it's just not worth it.

Not being able to find product to see in person is the main reason I post so many photos of the various models I have on my website.  Most mfg websites have precious few photos and any they do have are small and low resolution.  You really can't get an idea of just how good they look without high-res, big, close-ups of them.  I have tried to take and post up-close photos in series of the sides and tops of most of the engines I have.

If you have a dealer that is telling you "we are only going to send your engine back to MTH if you need repair" then I would think twice before ordering with them.  To me that is part of the service they are supposed to be providing to you and if they either can't or are unwilling to service what they sell then that is a complete failure to perform even the basic level of help to your customer.  These guys must either could not be bothered or honestly (and more probable) have no idea how they work or can perform even basic repair.

That is why I went the additional step to become a dealer, so I could more effectively help those that come to me for help.  Any sales outside of that is an added benefit but not the real driver.  

MTH may very well offer to sell direct on new product releases.  It's something USA trains has done since the beginning and Aristocraft only just recently.  If they go that path they will likely still have wholesale sales to dealers as they have with some of the items they have sold direct on blow-out.

They are sold out of a lot of their One-gauge offerings, but they do still have some things in-stock.  If you are looking for something in particular I'd be glad to look it up for you.

Raymond

And for all those wondering, this appears to confirm that 2013 Catalog WILL be released.  This item now appears in their product search as being in their 2013 catalog:

http://www.mthtrains.com/content/70-75032 

So it looks like they are updating their website and will just be a matter of time before the catalog is published.  My guess in the next couple of weeks.  MTH has told me directly to expect the 2013 catalog in March so stay tuned!

Raymond

I have the NYC hudson and use DCS.

About January,I called the MTh sales office and they had no idea of any 2013 production. So this is good news.

As to actually buying any MTH gauge 1 products, they referred me to dealers that were closed or as one case ( a Maryland dealer) actively hostile..

So where on the web can you actually buy any more MTH gauge 1 other than ebay.

Ray, thanks for the "heads-up" on MTH's new 2013 catalog.  This is good news for sure!

Joe

Sure thing :)  Honestly only time will tell.  It doesn't seem like anyone is making or announcing much of any new G scale product and given how bad the job market still is I would not be surprised if they held off another year.

Larryneworleans;

What I did was go up MTH's WEB site under find a dealer and put in my (or another ZIP Code) and selected a 100 mile radius (the 200 mile one doesn't seem to work). Then I clicked one by one on each dealer and opened up the "show all" box. For most one gauge stuff you will be looking at 70 series numbers. I looked to see if they had any one gauge that I wanted, if they did, I clicked on the dealers WEB site to see if it was listed there. I have found that most dealers do not actively update their information on the MTH WEB site. I discovered this when calling them and found that they had sold the products months ago or if I bought the only one they had; it was still listed on their site a month after.

I was speaking with Debbie at MTH Trains and she said people could sign up for the One-Gauge Newsletter in hopes of being better informed of updates.

1. Go to: www.mthtrains.com

2. Select: "Catalogs" on the left hand side. (or "contact us" seems to get to the same page)

3. In the second paragraph it states: "If you would like to request a catalog, click

here and select Request Catalog in the online form."

4. Fill out the form and be sure to fill in "ALL" the information. In the "Subject of your Email:" box select "Other." (NOT Catalog Request) In "Your Message" box type "Please add me to the One-gauge newsletter"

Debbie said many people only partially fill out the form making them unable to complete a request. MTH has been updating their WEB site which seems to be going slowly. She talked with Rich (Sales Manager) and he said that MTH would not be attending the York train show as they just got back from the west coast and had other commitments. He again stated that MTH is not getting out of One-Gauge. Their One-gauge catalog is still being designed and although they had hoped it would be out in March it looks like maybe April. It will be like the other interactive catalogs and she was unsure if it will be downloadable.

Larry G.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great news and I'm still looking for new product.

I remember talking with a dealer years ago. He said that one of the problems for a smaller dealer was that MTH demanded that he orders cars in twos. Meaning if I came into his store looking for a car, he had to order two of them. He said that when he did that, often times the other car would not sell.

I would have loved to become a dealer myself by now. I bet it would be tough to survive.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a used Hudson, then later a used Challenger and 5 passenger cars. Ray has helped me a lot to get the DCS figured out(I have old brains!) and ordered some parts for me. I really liked the smoke deflectors for my gray Challenger!  MTH seems to have well designed  equuipment and I love the sound. I had not been a big fan of sound. I was about out of using  track power, being mostly battery and live steam, but now find myself running my MTH units mostly.  I have quite a few MDC cars and they look good behind the Hudson.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jerry, just glad I could help!

Most current update from an email received today by fellow member Ben S, MTH will release an electronic only version of the 2013 One Gauge catalog and is targeting the end of May for it's release.

tick, tick, tick......

I'm losing my cool........

got to maintain composure......

Rats, another month......

I'd better just order one of everything incase this happens again? I'll need a big bank loan.......

I wonder how the new boards are coming? They won't work with regular O gauge couplers so are they making new G gauge ones??? They only work with LEDs also, so I hope they're not using the blue ones!!! No more polarity switch!

Hehe...  

On the new boards question I'm not what is meant exactly.   O gauge engines have been shipping with PS3 for the last year plus so PS3 is out.  MTH refers to the board they are using in O as their "O/G" board so the "O" boards were designed with G in mind.  PS3 board development should not be the thing that holds up the roll-out of any One Gauge offering.

Don't have information on any changes they are making with regards to couplers and hadn't heard any were required to utilize the existing couplers.  The Protocouplers are basically a solenoid and would expect that if there was a modification needed, it likely isn't too much.  You short power through a coiled wire to create a magnetic field to activate the coupler.  Other designs should still basically be a solenoid.

Yes the new lighting circuits are all LED and from what I've seen of the factory engines they are nice and proper white light so the upgrade kits will have the same lights included for install.

I should have said that MTH was playing with a 2 rail O gauge coupler. I was told it was dropped for now because it wouldn't work reliably. When I asked about it, I was told it had to use muscle wire as the board wouldn't work with a solenoid type??? Funny, they work with solenoids on three rail.

I do have some PS3 O scale engines myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm waiting......but my patience is like a kid in a toy store.................

Where is it???? what are the new engine releases???????????

tick....tick.....tick...... catalog has got to be near.............?? :blink:  :wacko:  :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...