MTH new 2013 catalog

enginear joe

http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2013/0723_4014.shtml

I had to look this up and as it is on the UP heritage web site so then the rumor mill can now simmer down. This does not mean though you will see it any time soon. Also, do you think that what is needed is another LARGE loco or for that fact oddball (like the Triple X) for our layouts. I have been saying for years that a Light Mike (USRA) would sell like hot cakes. And what is the point of no rolling stock. I am seriously giving thought to going to 2 rail O scale and getting rid of all the Large scale, 1:32 stuff I have. 

I bet they do make the next 4000 run with a 4014 number ;)    I think for sure also that of all the engines, they will do a rerun of the Big Boy before alot of the others.  They do have a new steamer drawn up but no idea what it could be yet.

I like to run modern diesels and got frustrated with what's available in G scale. I left for a while and bought a ton of O scale two rail. When summer comes, I hate to be in the basement. So, I'm not rich, but I need to run the big stuff outside. I could have tried the O scale outdoors as well. I just decided that the G scale stuff sitting around would be better to be used by me than sold.

Raymond, 

It so happens that years ago, I came across the November 1958 Trains magazine, which has a huge article about riding the Big Boys on the UP.  It's a pretty good article, but I can't scan and repost it here, I;m sure that would infringe on copywright laws.  David Morgan wrote it from his personal experience, and there's a lot of photos of a climb over Sherman Hill. 

Anyway,  I have a renewed interest in this beast of a locomotive, and it is possible that a model of 4014 would be something I might 'have to have'!  Admittedly, there are a lot of locomotives on that list.  I'll need to check with Jim and see about getting a demonstration of his BB on my layout before I'd contemplate a purchase.  The biggest question: do they navigate aristo wide radius turnouts?  And what is the length of the engine coupled with tender?  If it's over 54",  I'm going to have a hard time justifying the expense.

Of the MTH engines,  I never saw the Big Boys go on clearance at Trainworld or anywhere else.  So from a pure moving stuff out of the warehouse POV,  I'd expect they would be highly motivated to do another run of the BB.

Still holding out some hope for the N&W J to get running again next year, too.  Maybe a model of that engine will be produced as well, but a Lima super power Berkshire would have a lot of paint options, but would require a few different molds for the front end to allow for the changes that separate the C&O, NKP, PM, and ?? versions.

Hey Mark,

One of my most memorable experiences was getting to pace the 3985 for about a 5 mile stretch here in Kansas.  The opportunity to see a Big Boy in operation is a dream I think many will be hard to believe would come true.  

Here is the link to the MTH product page:  http://www.mthtrains.com/content/70-3009-1   It comes in at 53" long.  The engine can officially take 8ft diameter curves so it should be able to take an Aristo wide switch with no problem.  It's not as stiff as the USA Big Boy and is far more forgiving on uneven track.  

The only time MTH started clearance engines was some time after the economy tanked, the Big Boys were good sellers and I understand the Triplexes were as well up to the downturn when sales nosedived.  I do agree tho that I would expect another Big Boy run would be more likely than the other engines at this point due to the prototypes popularity.  

I think we will see one eventually as I'd love to have a J running as well, especially now they are looking at restoring the 611.  I seem to recall that the steam they have planned is a smaller one (ie not articulated) so there is at least some chance it could be next although the next catalog is supposed to have one new engine which was supposed to be a diesel.  Hard to say what they will include giving how long they are waiting on the next catalog.

MTH's Facebook page.

My son asked MTH about One Gauge catalog.

MTH response....

"MTH Electric Trains The RailKing One Gauge (G Gauge) catalog will be up on-line towards the end of August, first part of September. So I would keep and eye out for new G Gauge at the end of the month Mr Krakowski.Thank you for the post."

Monday at 9:51am

MTH's Facebook page.

My son asked MTH about One Gauge catalog.

MTH response....

"MTH Electric Trains The RailKing One Gauge (G Gauge) catalog will be up on-line towards the end of August, first part of September. So I would keep and eye out for new G Gauge at the end of the month Mr Krakowski.Thank you for the post."

Monday at 9:51am

Yeah Baby!! Bring it!!!

The Garden Railways magazine newsletter has an ad for MTH F7 Northfork &Southern with Protosound 3 special pre order. So it looks like they are really going to release a new catalog soon. We still have no idea of any new engines. As they already did F7's

The Garden Railways magazine newsletter has an ad for MTH F7 Northfork &Southern with Protosound 3 special pre order. So it looks like they are really going to release a new catalog soon. We still have no idea of any new engines. As they already did F7's

Also I am a member of there one gauge club "MTHRRC" no email arrived announcing this pre-order. Why? One of the benefits was suppose to be getting new product info before anyone else! We are also suppose to receive catalogs before everyone else, I will be watching my emails and mailbox. They really need a good PR Person.

Something has to come first, in this case one of the official communications has come out first via GRR magazine.  These companies often have different people working on different pieces, (web, retail ads, etc) so word is given to start getting this advertised and released to the public and you are now starting to see the info.  I think it's also well known that advertising in magazines, TV etc you have to provide and plan way ahead of time to get info out at specified publish dates so it would appear they are doing their job on reaching out and providing them information early to coincide with the next catalog release.  Given that we don't know the specifics on whether a mistake was made on the GRR side, I am reserving judgement.  The bottom line is fact that it's now on the website means they are close and as they stated on the FB page will see the official catalog on the website in the next few weeks.   Personally makes no difference on the timing of how word is getting out and I'm an MTH Dealer and for me what really matters is that the next catalog is almost out.  I will check on pricing (not sure it's avail to me yet) but I will at least be able to match the shipped pre-order price.

MTH announced this on facebook just now:

MTH Electric Trains in Columbia, Maryland is putting the final touches on the next RailKing One-Gauge Trains & Accessories Catalog. The MTH RailKing One-Gauge Line is G Gauge or Garden Trains and Rolling Stock built for indoor or outdoor modeling and are true 1/32 scale models. Here is a first look at the Norfolk Southern F7 featured in the next MTH RailKing One-Gauge Catalog. The Norfolk Southern F7 is a passenger train modeled after NS Executive Train and will be feature in the catalog with passenger cars. The Norfolk Southern F7 AA Set is on-line for pre-ordering. http://mthtrains.shptron.com/p/f-7-aa-diesel-set-with-proto-sound-3-0?pp=8

Not newer than yesterday's news...

Jim just point out one line in there that's giving us more clues.

"The Norfolk Southern F7 is a passenger train modeled after NS Executive Train and will be feature in the catalog with passenger cars. "

So, that means that the NS F7's should have coaches painted like the current NS scheme:

5315.1199167200.jpg

Seems similar to the Norfolk and Western passenger scheme.  Or am I mistaken?

It means that the catalog and the full release of everything they will produce this year will be revealed soon.  This first item appears to have leaked out a little early.  They have always produced a B unit so wait for the catalog to see the full range of what will be produced.