MTH new 2013 catalog

enginear joe

I called MTH sales dept. today 6/3/2013. Asked them about the new one gauge 2013 catalog. I was told it has been changed to sometime in the Fall of 2013. Reason for the new date was they decided to release a "S" gauge catalog now instead.

I called MTH sales dept. today 6/3/2013. Asked them about the new one gauge 2013 catalog. I was told it has been changed to sometime in the Fall of 2013. Reason for the new date was they decided to release a "S" gauge catalog now instead.

S?? We don't need no stinkin S!!! Urrrrrrrrrrrgggggggg.

First they jumped into HO and stalled the G. Now it's S, spreading them thin. I hope they don't forget us. They released one heck of an engine lineup in HO now. It would be nice to see 1/4 of that in G!!!!

Also let's not forget the European engines they also jumped into. The best thing to do is to voice your desire to them. That's why I email them or call them a few times a year. I believe customer feed back is the best.

So, drop them a line.

Joe, Hehe ... If the sales were to be had in G they'd be making them for us.  I think that is a good idea to keep in their ear about what you want as consumers and also try.  I know I was doing that for a time trying to get a DD40 out of them :)   BTW, I suggest that anyone wanting a DD40 drop a line to USA Trains as well.  I would REALLY like to see them make one.... While I'm pretty tapped out as far as buying any more engines in G scale, I would be all over a DD40!

du-bousquetaire said  

Another thing which I find surprising in garden railway videos is why people stick to short radius curves and pointwork in the great outdoors, where you usually have all the space available you want (which isn't the case indoors usually) It makes those big engines look ridiculous, when a chalenger or a big boy goes over small radius curve the boiler overhang is such that in real life the loco would probably tip over! I guess it's time some of the fabulous input great model railroaders of the '60 and '70 gave to us old timers like John Armstrong, and many others seep into the wonderfull world of garden railroading, to help bring the level of realism up to what ti is in indoor modeling. Not that I have anything against the naive or beggining modeler, if he gets fun and enjoyment that's fine with me. But for those who strive to improve their standards, if only to match the detailing of their models, it would be good to see more attempts at reproducing the real Mac Coy. and they hardly run standard gauge over curves of less than 360 scale feet (and at least twice that on mainlines) Thats about 4 yards radius in 1/32 scale. Try to put a curve like that in your garden and place such a big loco on it: Presto you will see that all of a sudden it starts looking realistic.

Evening gents et all

Not new to LS as some of you who know me, know. Years ago now, I used to make LS switches (points to our English cousins) and sold them into the states thru Eldorado Railways. 2 things happened about the same time. The Australian dollar started getting stronger and John Pritchard died. He owned Eldorado Railways.

The Challenger I bought from MTH I had ordered and placed a thousand dollar deposit on it (half its retail price here +shipping and + customs) 1 year before it was released for sale. Got some ribbing from folks over that until they saw it. In reply to the above I knew long before it arrived that there were going to be visual problems with what turned out to be a very large loco and planned accordingly. hence I show this photo to you all

Challenger4.jpg

10crossover.jpg

When I showed this photo years ago I got the usual questions, and then the response on inquiry as to how much, that it was to expensive, that I stopped making these switches in total and only just for myself and local consumption Then rarely above a number 6. These are #10,s in a crossover. Seems to me that people want the trains and will pay for them, but track? How dare you make money out of large scale was one response. I think this answers your question?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks:

I know that there are quite a lot out there who do the incorrect 1/29 scale, but please don't ask for our practically only producer of 1/32 scale stuff to go 1/29 th scale, you fellows have already three major manufacturers working for you plus AML that makes four. We only have MTH and an occasional (but very nice Accucraft model to drewl over) If MTH went 1/29 scale I would probably stop modeling US prototype.  I think we should let the scales compete in a liberal way and see who wins, this thread started with quite a few 1/29 affictionados admiring the quality of MTH stuff. Well they are very good performers mechanically and their detailing and proportions are way better than some other offerings I won't mention in that larger scale. And furthermore they are the correct scale - gauge ratio. Why with E bay, there is no excuse, even if you own a huge empire, you can sell it and buy 1/32. It is rather despairing to see that the same error that got 1/48 scale going in the late '30, is about to be replayed again (the correct scale for O gauge is 1/43 scale) . Same as the british with their OO gauge, and in gauge one the ten millimeter per foot scale( the correct is 3/8" per foot). Why have it wrong when you can have it right. The other nice aspect of it in 1/32 scale is you can combine MTH diesels electrics or steam models with Aster and Accucraft live steam (or electrics), and for a steam enthusiast that's priceless. I have been scrutinizing the US garden railway scene very seriously in the last three years ever since I started modeling US prototype again; what do I see: Most modelers working in 1/29 scale mix it indifferently with models of 1/22 or 1/24 scale narrow gauge equipment, which were very different, smaller in reality, and therefore never ran in the same consist with standard gauge stuff (even on three rail trackage there was a significant size difference). Is it the dictatoship of this huge market which is going to tell us how to model a railroad correctly? I hope not! There will hopefully be a lot of beginers who will want this, let them have it, but move on to better and incremently smaller things, that look right, you won't regret it. Just like large curves it will always look and operate better. We need to John Armstrong garden railways a bit.

Simon

Hi Grant-Kerr:

Funny you mentioned this, I started making switches and pointwork for a Paris Hobby shop way back in the late '70 too. All my pointwork but one is handmade and I get no derailments on them. They are mostly N° 8 some smaller in yards. I really dug the fotos you posted. If I figure out how to post photos on this forum (I 'm not too good with computers) I will do some of my line. The romance of Class one railroads is worth that extra effort of using good curves and large pointwork, it makes it very difficult to fit into small spaces but the challenge is a good one to master.

Right now I am having quite a dilemna in my head because my layout was built and planned with French railways in mind. It is dimensionned OK for a moderatly busy French two track main, but going to US prototype changes everything: The Janey coupler permits 100 car freights, but I don't have the siding capacity (let alone the yard capacity) for that, my turntable is OK for my K4 but too short for my T 1, besides I need a wye to turn my passenger consists at the end of their run for the return... All very fascinating dilemnas to resolve.

Well I came across some 15 ft curves so it looks like my layout will be kinder to the big engines and long trains. I love the look of your switches and even the ballast. I've gone to several places and can't find the rock size I'm looking for to make it realistic. There's a quarry where the rock comes from that probably has it, but they don't deal direct. I need to find a dealer who'll order something that looks close to it in that picture.

Now I need to get more straight track too.

Go to a feed store and buy #2 chicken grit. The guy is going to ask you how big your chickens are, so be prepared to tell a little white lie. I told him they were about this big (holding my hands about 12" apart) he said "Oh, you need number 1 chicken grit". anyway, you need #2. Good luck and let us see some pictures when you get it in. Larry

I am a 1/32 and MTH fan for several reasons.

1. I like the quality (fit, finish, detail) of my MTH locomotives.

2. I can run them with an AC or DC power supply (like my Z-4000)

3. I like using DCS; it is user friendly

4. 1/32 looks more real on my one gauge track because I am used to seeing standard gauge.

5. As my plans to run my trains outdoors seems to be on hold, I find running 1/32 in my basement a great size. LARGE ENOUGH TO EXCITE ME; small enough so it doesn’t look out of proportion for indoors.

Unlike what I did with my HO and 027, I feel content running them at scale speeds (which DCS helps in that area). Having recently ridden on the NKP 765 Steam locomotive and learning that Norfolk Southern wants to keep steam locomotives around the 40 MPH mark; I now run my Triplex at that scale speed.

I agree with Simon that MTH should stay 1/32. Yes, I too wish that MTH would not keep changing their release date (at least to the public), but as I have several engines now and limited basement area; I am willing to wait.

Go to a feed store and buy #2 chicken grit. The guy is going to ask you how big your chickens are, so be prepared to tell a little white lie. I told him they were about this big (holding my hands about 12" apart) he said "Oh, you need number 1 chicken grit". anyway, you need #2. Good luck and let us see some pictures when you get it in. Larry

I've heard of it at least. Now I'll have to go look at it!!

I thought someone had mentioned crushed granite or something like that also?

The Ballast I use is known here in Oz as crusher fine. I get it from a garden supply and as a rule I have seen it at a few so it seems to be readily available. It is bluestone dust basically so I tend to run it thru a sieve and get the excess dust out and also the bits that are to large. Locks up real well and looks good also. Cost is about 50 dollars Aud a small trailer load and it is HEAVY.

• 2 weeks later...

So many topics in one thread about a catalog! 

I've been anticipating the new catalog, as well.  Even though I am primarily buying the aristo 1/29 line of trains,  I am hoping that MTH will produce a Norfolk and Western Class J 4-8-4 steam locomotive.  I look to their HO catalog for clues as to their direction in large scale, and this appears to be a good seller for them. 

I've decided that the electronics and the fit-finish of the MTH trains that I've seen (I live vicariously through a friend who owns a Big Boy, Hudson, GS-64, PA-PB-PA, and VO switcher) make the scale differences irrelevant.  I disagree with most of you and feel that MTH should have gone with 1/29 as the market already existed for those products and they would have been able to sell to a wider market.  Again, only my opinion, and it was their money and marketing that got many of you excited about large scale.  It is what it is. 

Fall 2013 will be here soon, so I can wait!

I've decided that the electronics and the fit-finish of the MTH trains that I've seen (I live vicariously through a friend who owns a Big Boy, Hudson, GS-64, PA-PB-PA, and VO switcher) make the scale differences irrelevant.  

I agree with you and that is ultimately what I've found as well.  There are definitely cases where 1:32 engines look small in front of certain 1:29 rolling stock but I find you can mix the scales with success and running a 1:32 scale train on one loop with a 1:29 works good. 

From what I have heard on the next catalog (whenever it is released) it sounds like it may only include a new diesel although a new steamer has been drawn up.  If they do another northern engine, I would have to think a J would be high on the list to make.

Mark Oles forgot the Triplex and two GG1's. I also run narrow gauge in 1/24, 1/22 and 1/20. I just love trains.

Scale! What or which scale. If i like it and it will run on one gauge track, let's go........Jim

On one curve that is exposed to the sun, I have put some scale ballast which I glued with outdoor quality white glue + varnish  in the same way used to ballast in HO:

You put a drop of dishwasshing liquid in some water spray bottle and dilute the white glue 50% with water. You spread out the ballast dry and when it is OK (take the opportunity to check the radius of the curve and the angle of superelevation at this point). You spray the water, that holds things down; then with a drip bottle you place carefully drops of the glue mix everywhere needed. I then let this dry and repeat the process with a white spirit spray and trickle the varnish more or less the same way I did the white glue. Somehow this section has remained pristine for around ten years. All my other attempts since have had moss grow into the balast ruining everything (unless you model a short line, which isn't my case). This was done with scale size ballast purchased in a gardening store in the pet section, it is sold in large bags of varying colour for aquariums. Unfortunatly this size (around 2-3 mm. size chunks of ballast) Does not stand up in the rain especially during summer thunderstorms and has to be glued down. Elsewhere I use  a grit that is from 5mm to 10mm. in size, not to scale but stays prety much where it is  during a storm. We get a lot of water in my erea which is only a hundred and fifty miles from the English channel. I will try and post a photo, this was with made at my GTG in 2009 I think it features a Nord railway of France Du-Bousquet 4-6-0 built by my friend John Van Riemsdijk of Aster fame. but at that time it had been sold to my friend John Butler who had extensively rebuilt and redetailed it. John was one of the three English fellows who had restored the real engine on the Nene Valley railway in England 30 years ago, and thanks to whom we now have it back in France where it is being restored to exhibition  standards and under a roof in Longueville. There is a move to restore the engine for the centenary of the armistice as it was one of these that hauled the famous train. I added my very typical Nord aproach signal.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't need any more motive power but I wouldn't be able to resist a Berkshire in Gauge One.  A 1:32 scale model of the Pere Marquette 1225 would fulfill my dream.