Snow Blower

Screwy Nick

Screwy Nick is off on another tangent:   scrapping the idea of a trailing tank car and going to put belly tanks on the car as a trailing tanker will carry much more fuel than would be necessary to just power the rotary assembly.  I am going to leave the porch and roof over hang as is as the crew still needs consideration.   I'm sure I have something in one of the scrap boxes, or easy enough to build a reasonable facsimile of tanks.      LG     

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this Ozark Miniatures plow sitting around that would not work on a Dash 8, but was able to fit it to my old RS-3, just for grins. I had run it the other day and it plowed the snow in my covered bridge, but thought it would be better with a blade rather than the straight across front.

Plow.JPG

Here are the results of the latest detour:  Decided that since I was going to use on board tanks I removed the rear porch and most of the roof over hang.  Also along the lines of symetary I moved the rear door to the other side of the car so now both sides have access. Now needed to move the bolster holding the rear truck further inward to allow the wheels to clear the end of the now shortened car.  Body mounted the coupler using a pen spring to keep it centered but yet very flexible.  Also mounted a 'bumper' assembly to give the car a beefed up appearance. Discarded the Truss Rod assembly to allow the tanks to be installed.   Still undecided on the drive.   Weather being what it has been I think I have time.  

I found an Aristocraft full body plow in the scrap box, never know what I'm going to find in there.       

post-9-0-57632100-1451750948.jpg

post-9-0-53015300-1451750966.jpg

post-9-0-12403500-1451750998.jpg

post-9-0-03663500-1451751018.jpg

post-9-0-33867300-1451751531.jpg

Here it is fully assembled minus a few steps and grab irons, and most of all the drive.  My intentions are to to to my local hobby shop and research  my options.  Looking at race car motors and also oconsidering the starting device that was recommended by Caputo on another forum.   I especially want to thank ChuckN also from another forum and Jerry and Sean for their input in this project and those that have shown interest giving me the incentive to continue.  

LG

post-9-0-58952800-1451845289.jpg

post-9-0-55805600-1451845308.jpg

post-9-0-55608500-1451845337.jpg

post-9-0-19586300-1451845362.jpg

Looks Great Nick!

I kept mine in the KISS principle ... Old batt. powered drill  with the vacuum impeller and shaft mounted in the drills chuck ...battery for power ... push the unit with engines ... works good enough for me.

Hope you get it finished so we can see some videos .... :rolleyes:

Went to the local Hobby Shop and was led to an electric motor SVM540 and very inexpensive at only $15.00.  also purchased some brass to adapt the motor shaft to the  U joints I received.  Now need to grind down the adaptor to the existing U joint, hope to accomplish that today.     LG

I made a bracket that aligned the motor with the Rotary Drive shaft without using the U joints.  It is now on the bench spinning for the last 25 minutes to see if it will destroy itself.  

I tried the impeller rotating in both directions and found much more air flow out of the discharge shoot with the assembly rotating Clock Wise, looking at the front of the unit.  

If the wind dies down I will follow Sean's suggestion and test it with saw dust later today.    LG

post-9-0-37063600-1452177196.jpg

post-9-0-30137900-1452177210.jpg

post-9-0-87578300-1452177223.jpg

post-9-0-26338400-1452177235.jpg

Update:  came to some different conclusions:  1: the rubber tubing connectors I was using were prone to failure at the 12VDC that I was testing it at.  I also realized that at 12V the motor was spinning at 15K RPM's, much more than was needed to do the job, as Jerry may attest to from his earlier posting.

I first changed the coupling assembly to something more reliable.  The motor is rated at 4.5-12VDC,  so I then experimented with several different voltages using a Bridgewerks 10A power supply as my source.   Found as Jerry also said it is a beast and a very hungry motor.  Came to the conclusion that @ 4.5VDC the spin seems to be about right and the motor will draw almost 3A., I am still breaking it in.   For those of you using track power that may not be an issue, but I am using battery so it is a serious one.   I abandoned the Li-ion battery thought and am going for a much stronger Ni battery assembly.    Monday I will go to my local Batteries Plus and show Roy the available space and he will HOPEFULLY be able to construct a battery that will give me about an hour of run time.   Still having fun.  

post-9-0-20054800-1452968717.jpg

Kevin,  in Buffalo snow is always on the way,  just funnin'     

Uh oh!  Looks like snow is on the way for you.  You just might need to call the rotary into service.  

-Kevin.

BTW- Sunny here in Western New York, today.  Supposed to be in the 40's by Monday.  I just might put on some shorts and go wash the truck out in the driveway.   :D

Kevin,  been snowin' and blowin' all night long.  I have about 8" on the ground with another full day of the stuff expected.  If predictions are correct I won't be able to even get to the track.   

You should get a break every now and then,  enjoy the 40', I'll be thinking of you,        LG

Nick, glad you are working on it, things are looking good. I  have not tried mine with a lower voltage outside yet, hope to, if the snow co-operates. Sounds like you got too much co-operation on the snow there. Stay warm and stay home!

Jerry,  I found mine operates best at 4.0 VDC,  and at it still draws 3A.   

You hit the nail on the head,  I can't even get close to the track.   I used my 1:1 snow blower yesterday and will clean up again today, along with digging out the truck.  Then I hope to make a path to the track and if the snow hasn't frozen solid give it a test. 

Adult beverage is a great Anti Freeze.      Stay Well      

Screwy Nick .. It's time for some black magic!
I installed a rheostat switch and a directional switch to my unit!
First you can adjust the power to the impeller ! black knob in pic
Second you can run it forwards or reverse it ! switch below the knob in pic P1130005_zpsgjgqrr1b.jpg

I forgot there is also switch to turn in on and off . far right in pic.

Yes it's battery powered.

P1130004_zps5s08ire3.jpg

Sean, what happened to the KISS method??  just kidding, the rheostat is the way to go so you can adjust the speed for each type of snow.  I just tested the motor with a Bridgewerks power supply till I got what I thought was a good operating speed using sawdust, then ordered batteries to provide that.  I could still be off some, but still can't get near the tracks for a real test, just cleared the back deck of over 24" of the white stuff.   4200mah should give you plenty of power.  

Jerry, It's not magic, just order some PWM DC motor speed regulators on line.  Your present power supply and motor is most likely just fine and can be dialed down to the speed you want.  Enter your VDC and your Amps and the answer will just pop up.       LG   

Nick

The snow was a little too sticky for a nice constant push with unbelievable snow throwing, picture taking scenes ! 

What snow you did see was stuff that kept falling from the trees! 

STA_0369_zpsdnf7kxkh.jpg

My batteries just arrived yesterday.   I had only 6" on the elevated track so it would have been a very good test,  but I had over 24" on the ground so couldn't even get to it.    I thought after I installed the batteries I'd shovel some snow onto the tracks and give it a try, but in testing what's left on the ground appears to be only ice.   Going to have to come up with another plan,  HELP.