Snow Blower

Screwy Nick

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might snow again.

You need to prepare a section of tack and cleanout a path to it.

Make a cover as long as your train and set them out the night before!

When it does snow , try to explain to the boss that you have to test your blower before you clean the yard.

That my biggest problem  .. waiting to long to get the unit running ....Good luck!

Since last posting I made brackets for 6V Gel Cell batteries that will be put in parallel, and a PWM speed control will be in the circuit so I can adjust the blade speed.  That along with the ability to adjust the blades in and out of the unit I should be able to clear the track.

Looks like minor snow fall is in my future, and since I doubt the PWM speed control will be here by then I have a couple of 2V 2.5AH batteries, will be put in series and be at the ready for the test, camera charged up also.   Going to do my best to move some snow before this winter has passed.     LG   

post-9-0-88986000-1454604898.jpg

post-9-0-34124100-1454604913.jpg

post-9-0-86361000-1454604927.jpg

Sean,   the unit is 5lb 0oz  by itself and 6lb 6oz with batteries.  Should I add weight, and if so how much.

Sorry to report that yesterday's SNOW,  temp was just at freezing and it turned to slush as it hit, so no test, but if the weather predictions are correct I'm in for more early next week.  LG

Sean, if predictions are true I'm in for a few inches myself between tonight and Wednesday.     Yesterday I chopped the ice off the tracks as my previous fall was just slush and it froze right there.  I've had the Shay in the garage keeping cool and the 3rd truck with the battery in the house on the charge.  

Found some lead weights in an old fishing box I haven't used in years,  added that to the car for an additional 1.5lbs.  

LETS GO FOR IT.           

EDIT:   latest prediction is I'm in for more slush.   

Sean, sorry to hear about the branches falling, I assume it was a very heavy wet snow,  I hope the track wasn't damaged.  

So far I have nothing, it melted as soon as it fell and now it is raining.     I still have hopes for snow overnight tonight.  

LG     

IT WORKED.    The snow was very wet and heavy.   The Battery powered Shay refused to push it so I did.    While pushing and taking pics, this is the best one I was able to get, not very good, but i think it does make the point. Is Life Good or What.        

post-9-0-71417200-1455118714.jpg

Awesome!  Congrats, Screwy Nick!  Now, pack it up and send it to Buffalo, we got snow today.

-Kevin.

Kevin What a lazy lazy lazy person you are! ;)

If screwy Nick can build one ... get to work!

Great job Nick! :D

Kevin, don't take Sean to heart.  Its just a left handed compliment aimed at me, and I don't take it to heart. 

BUT, I do have the LGB Box car that I originally started this with you are welcome to it.

I will replace the orignal tapered fitting with a 4" flat fitting.  All you have to do is get the vacuum impeller available on line and a motor and you're on your way.   Always Glad to help another Train enthusiast.     Screwy Nick

Kevin ,Nick is right , don't mine me too much

As far as I'm concerned Humor is a major tool in life! :D Embrace it!

Nick has learned a lot with this build!

Give it a try Kevin , what do you have to loose? :ph34r:

Kevin, 

BUT, I do have the LGB Box car that I originally started this with you are welcome to it.

I will replace the orignal tapered fitting with a 4" flat fitting.  All you have to do is get the vacuum impeller available on line and a motor and you're on your way.   Always Glad to help another Train enthusiast.     Screwy Nick

Much appreciated, Screwy Nick, but I could never do it justice.  Your project turned out incredible and I'm afraid that mine would end up on the work bench with all the other half finished things I've got going right now (mental note:  I must quit my day job).  Of course a cool rotary would give me a reason to go outside in the winter and freeze!  It's 8 degrees right now..... Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!  

-Kevin.

Kevin, why should your work bench look any different than mine? I retired and still don't have time to finish everything. while doing one project I get  ideas about other things I'd like to do.  

The Pulse Wave regulator controller finally arrived.  Put the 6V gel cell's in parallel so I'll have more power than is necessary for one plus hours of plowing. The switch below the speed adjuster reverses polarity so the rotary assembly can be turned in either direction.  I put the controls on the outside to make access easy to adjust while in motion, yet still a bit cancelled as the locomotive will be pushing it, not like the last test I hope.

Sean, some what warmer here,  single digits but on the + side, got a lot of inside stuff done.   LG      

post-9-0-24808500-1455537634.jpg

post-9-0-02662500-1455537646.jpg

Sean,  I presently have light snow and hoping for enough to try it out, but also have predictions of rain, and no telling if I'll get enough snow to try it or when the rain will start.

I have the locomotive in the garage cooling off for a test if given the chance, I can only hope, AND I DO HOPE.   thank you.