MTH Big Boy

Tom51

I guess I'll have to make room in the train barn this spring. Can't wait to double head with my present BogBoy to pull 63 2-bay hopper cars................Jim

Hmmmm  you need two to pull 63 cars?

I'm sure one MTH bigboy could pull 63 cars on level but I'm not sure about a 1.8% grade and besides I had to justify to my wife why I needed a second one.

If it looks to be too easy I can add another 25 100 ton hopper cars, what a drag that will be........Jim

I know an MTH Big Boy can pull 120 Bachmann coal cars on the level we did it at one of the train shows.  I've never calculated out the steep grade on my layout but I know 1 big boy can pull 60 cars up that hill.  

You can see the grade in this video:  

My friend who had ordered a pair of SP F7 with the black widow scheme from Raymond just got word from him that they have been just delivered, this is good news to MTH fans and 1/32 scale modelers. It means that they are producing gauge one locos again. As I seem to remember reading somewhere that they had changed factories supplying them a few years ago, when they almost dropped out of the G scale market, So if they are producing locos again we might get some new things from them again. I sure hope  this happens.

My friend who had ordered a pair of SP F7 with the black widow scheme from Raymond just got word from him that they have been just delivered, this is good news to MTH fans and 1/32 scale modelers. It means that they are producing gauge one locos again. As I seem to remember reading somewhere that they had changed factories supplying them a few years ago, when they almost dropped out of the G scale market, So if they are producing locos again we might get some new things from them again. I sure hope  this happens.

To clarify, MTH didn't almost drop out of the G scale market.  There was a two year break in between their 2011 and 2013 catalog which is where all the rumors were running wild, none of which were true.  There was also a break between the 2007 and 2010 catalogs. ('The Great Recession' started at the end of 2007 and had a long lasting impact, with Aristocraft closing it's doors in Dec 2013.) There were many ridiculous claims made like MTH had sold off all the One Gauge molds (a claim that was being touted as 100% certain/fact) and again was not true.  The 2013 catalog should have put this all to rest.  Dash-8s actually started shipping in June 2015 with the F-7s starting to ship in Jan/Feb 2016.

Being so far from the US I guess I hadn't followed all this in detail as I couldn't see this from here. I only saw four MTH Gauge one locos in France other than mine in 6 years... However I had info about this from Jeff Strank and had his comunication-Answer about this published in the G1MRA newsletter to rectify things that had been announced by a British importer who had announced that they were shutting down their gauge one productions at the time.Also as I model older steam era first generation diesels I wouldn't know about their more modern diesels. They have made a big inroad in the French O gauge market though. I sure hope they are satisfied by the sales of these new products.

That information contradicts my information from MTH that said to the contrary where they indicated on more than one occasion that they were not exiting the One Gauge market. What MTH had been communicating was that there weren't plans for new production at that time they were asked not that they were halting production forever.  There is a difference between not planning new production for an upcoming period and not planning on ever producing any more ever.  Production isn't done all the time, they are done in defined production runs. Items are announced in a catalog, wait for pre-orders to confirm enough demand and then a production order is given for a defined quantity. 

Looking back at what was announced or in-stock at the time:

2007 catalog:  Big Boy, Challenger, GS-2, GS-4, Hudson, Triplex, Dash-8, VO-1000, F-3, F-7, PA, GG1

2010 catalog:  Triplex, Hudson, VO-1000, PA, F-3, F-7, Dash-8, GG1

2011 catalog: Triplex, GS2, PA, Dash 8, F-3, F-7, VO-1000,

2013 catalog: Triplex (new production: F-7, Dash-8s, VO-1000[cancelled]) 

By the time the 2013 catalog was announced they had sold out of most of their one gauge inventory published in the 2011 catalog.