Vehicles and people

Over the winter months I look for Diecast vehicles and people to populate my layouts. This year I found a milk delivery truck and a milk man that had to be assembled and painted. Some of you maybe too young to remember when milk was delivered to the home; very early in the morning.

post-17-0-91204300-1395319873.jpg

post-17-0-21473600-1395319902.jpg

post-17-0-34576600-1395319921.jpg

We had dairy cows but Grandma lived in town and I remember putting her empties on the porch.  A larger truck would come from the Coleman Creamery to pick up our milk cans and leave clean empties.  The C&O (ex Pere Marquette) in front of the creamery is bike path now.

Great looking truck.  Structures and such are tempting but where the heck am I going to store those in the winter?  I can barely squeeze the trains in the garage now.

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't that "Elsie"?  Saw many of those in my youth...  Also managed to "snitch" a few doughnuts "outta da back of da Truck"  (Boston accent there)....  MMMMMMmmmmmmmm

Anyway...  What scale do you use?  I have 1/24 buildings (POLA?), 1/29 Buildings (PICO), 1/29 trains, 1/24 trains, 1/32 cars and trucks, and God knows what scale the "folks" are!!!!!   How do you tie all these together?

P.S.  Love the truck!

Charles

I remember the horse drawn milk cart in the morning. Milko would run from house to house and the horse knew the round so well that he knew what street to turn down and when to stop and start. Milk in bottles. REAL milk, not homogeniesed pasteurrised and (Purely Oz) Buggerised.!!!

Charles- In an effort to tie all my stuff together I try to keep all my buildings and vehicles to the same scale- 1/24.  Real live 1/1 scale people are all different sizes, so I guess as long as they look good to you.  My trains are all 1/29.

Jerry-  My milk truck is made by Danbury Mint.  I think Ertl also makes a Borden's milk truck.  I know that Ertl makes Divco milk trucks with various other dairy names.  I've seen them on ebay.  

Hope this helps.

-Kevin.

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry- Glad to help out.

Jim- That's a cool truck (total pun intended).  I've only seen them in 1:18 scale.  Judging by the box, that one looks like Danbury Mint, maybe?  Is it 1:24?  If so, I need one!

-Kevin.

Kevin, Yes, 1/24 Danbury. There are a few on Ebay. Looks like we will be bidding against each other. Let the battle begin!

I love collecting vehicles for my layout. I go on vacation two times a year in Florida and always hit the Flee markets looking for diecast...............Jim