Aristo LS Mike

Screwy Nick

Received it on Friday evening and unpacked it. First thing I noticed the carrying case has wheels and a handle like a suit case, nice touch. Everything appears to be there. I can see where it has been fired up, but no rail marks on the wheels. It looks brand new, not 'cleaned up' really unused. The battery would not accept a charge, not unusual for something that has been sitting for years. I gave it a shock and it is now charging, sounds are what is to be expected. Today going to fashion an adapter and charge the boiler to test the integrity of it and the steam lines. After that will fire it up. Oh, it still has gas in the tank which I will vent out,836526777_IGjyOuMUSQ65bL6AmTE8g.thumb.jpg.f05b01636b92ad57f7cd3a7b1fa3f5fc.jpg attests to the quality of the manufacturing. More good news later.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started by adjusting the throttle on air, and left it a little cracked to compensate for possible expansion when under steam. Outside was out of the question this morning so did my Utility Room steam up. Usual live steam preperations, lube etc. Started with 375mls of 160'F water. Since it had a head start didn't take long for the boiler to reach 30lbs pressure. Easily cleared the pipes and cylinders and walked away. After it cooled a little I made the final throttle adjustment to fully stop, and tested it under steam. Going to let it cool and test the throttle to make sure it opens again and didn't seize during cooling/contracting. I am very happy with the Mike and can't wait for the weather to clear for an outside run. LiG. 

Hello Nick, the sound is completely different with steam, you can feel life in the machine. Thank you for the detailed explanation. We hope for good weather for the test drive.

Greets

Jan

Sean and Jan, thank you for words of encouragement.  Not bad for a 16 year old new locomotive.  Seller told me the owner was a collector and fired it up only once, can believe it as it looks new, not cleaned up to look new.  I really lucked out. Jan, You are right, even with my ears can hear the difference between air and steam.  LiG

Jan, that is the CD that comes with the Mike, along with an instruction booklet.  There is a contradiction between the Printed and CD instructions concerning the charging LED.  Printed states it will be Amber when charging and the CD says Red.  I have found that if the tender 24 pin connector is plugged incorrectly the LED will be Amber, when all 24 pins make contact it is Red.   I too have long been one to take things apart.  As a child my father had to LOCK his tools or there was no telling what would be in pieces when my parents got home.  I have a love and curiosity for all things mechanical.  To this day folks, some I don't even know, bring things to me for repair/replace old wire, so I am busy all the time.      

My father was a carpenter, I grew up in his workshop and still use some of his tools today. I like the smell of freshly cut wood, cedar or pitchpine eg. Later in the salt mine, the smell was bad, musty and stale, plus the nitrous gases after blasting. That's why I use smoke oil with wood smell. So I'm not quite off topic now, just a little...
Was just at the dentist, again one less, bad day…

Can understand your feeling about wood smell.  I split stacks of fire wood and when I get cedar I'll bring it in the house till the last scent is gone, then split it again.  Can't even imagine the atmosphere in a mine, not to mention the personal 'chill' of thinking where I am.  Only had 1 cruise in a Sub PERIOD  Dentist: don't feel alone, I think it's normal as our age number goes UP, our teeth number goes DOWN.

Hi Nick, I was here, this is an old movie, my grandfather had the same job. In the past, there was even a railway underground, narrow gauge, first electric, later with small diesel locomotives. I still saw them, parked in a shed. The machine with the number 88 was mine, which lasted 17 years, a drill, 7m long holes with 60 mm diameter.

Sorry, I digress again, will improve

Regards

Jan with Max and Moritz 

Watched the entire movie, didn't need to understand the words, the pics explained it all.  I was surprised at how roomy it was in most areas, till it got 20 minutes into it.  I think the machine you operated was 22 minutes in.  Don't know how I feel about a long bolt and small plate with a nut holding up my ceiling.  I know that is done in rock, but salt??   Thank you for sharing.  

Bug sends greetings to  Max & Moritz. 

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of quick runs outside proved this locomotive to be the filthiest I have ever run or seen.  Oil spewing like a new well.  Informed by some who has one that he partially blocked the flow of oil from the tank.  Makes sense as my other LS only have a pin hole metering the oil.  So I added come copper wire to cut down on the diameter.  Hoping for a nice day today for a test run.  Can always add more strands if not satisfied.  vNnfaJptSR6sDDHrtMRuuw.thumb.jpg.76c7d15f59dc97a6a5752b1cd9c106ab.jpgfullsizeoutput_a5b.thumb.jpeg.a7d74f8dcef2890038f3140660d05bfa.jpeg 

Jan, the plan was suggested by someone who has one, I just coppied, and it does work.  Ran this morning so much cleaner that I am going to leave it just the way it is.  I would imagine if I used a different oil, presently using Roundhouse, I may have to add or subtract a strand depending on the viscosity.  Sounds: the bell is acceptable out doors.  Next is to find out why it doesn't like the divergent side of a #6, I mean what is there not to like about a #6??