Aristo LS Mike

Screwy Nick

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No problem, I guess... Split axis, the socket above it is torn, you made a new one... If so, why did they do it? Only for insulating, anyway, the main thing is that you get the right distance.

Regards

Jan

On 11/16/2022 at 9:57 AM, Screwy Nick said:

2122983205_wIkp7jY9QzOusvAUjla1w.thumb.jpg.ec59e7e4a2599badc41bb2ce7f1e966b.jpg

Yeah I don't like that design with the plastic sleeve...not at all. Aristo did the same on the early heavyweight cars and those I always changed to the new wheel style.

Jan, that is talent far beyond anything I can do, a true artist.

Did some fuel testing and got strange results:  Filled the gas tank at room temp, let it sit and added more fuel.  Put water in the bath at 110'F (43C).  Outside temp 44'F (6.6C), water to the boiler heated to 190'F (87.8C).  At 20 lbs pressure let it go and it only went 1.5 times around the oval, out of fuel.  Added fuel to the tank, but not full, same water in the bath.  It ran for another 35 minutes till I tired and shut it down.  Should have been the other way around???  Also saw a couple more things that need attention, but nonthe less a good day.  

Got the I and II side by side.  First thing I noticed is II has the ability to open the smoke box, and inside is a removable brass plate.  Probably to lessen the damage from a smoke box fire.  I guess you could also light it from there, but then fiddling to get the brass plate in place is sure to cause some grief.  

618611054_SXSEX2dTHOK9dDzHNqJYg.thumb.jpg.2dfc3f53e7c178712f0f32934ef645d1.jpg1646658375_YPbsqAmySOGHfUpS2WpFg.thumb.jpg.1b31853cc577e131104b06d8a5994a48.jpgsQ8pboIyTqSQw5LEi6jTWQ.thumb.jpg.2b06251bb5b15d616ca36f0c10ec11ff.jpg

Fueling through the standard Ronson valve appears to be a problem.  Even with a warm water bath can only get a couple of times around and out of fuel.  Happened twice in a row today, finally against my better judgement added fuel while venting through the jet.  Got the best run yet, 45 minutes.  Also with the addition of the spring the pilot wheels stayed on track, and the additional 3 strands of copper wire in the oil tube the mess was much less.  Realized it is much easier to video from inside the oval, than running around the outside like the crazy man that I am.  An OUTSTANDING afternoon. LiG

Jan, thank you, it is getting it's 'stride'.   Have one more thing to try fueling up as I don't like venting through the jet.  Right is the one I have been using for many years, on the left is new one made by Primus.  Fat lady is on stage, but hasn't started to sing, yet. 

fullsizeoutput_ab6.thumb.jpeg.d03d221a3a82787a154933f62b26e8e8.jpeg

Sean, thank you.   Jan, I still have the center post from where all my measurements and level was done from, maybe a swivel chair set on top of that, just have to pivot a little and adjust the distance on the camera!!!!!  When the neighbor sees that, 'men in the white coats' will be fitting me for one of those jackets with the sleeves that tie in the back. 

The other filler was even worse than the one I have been using.  I am resigned to having to open the valve to vent the tank while filling.  I will remove the jet from the delivery tube when doing that, very easy with a finger squeeze clip.  fullsizeoutput_abc.thumb.jpeg.26dbb177f3e70c4babd3bfe0201478e2.jpeg

Speaking of limiters:  on another forum a Mike owner mentioned the oil from the exhaust found it's way to and destroyed the direction limiters.  After the long run flipped mine over, sure enough the oil was using the wire leading to the limiters as a path, would over time find and insulate the contacts.  Filled in with heavy packing foam in hopes the oil will drip off.  Next run will tell, not this morning raining already.  QCKclQKhRyKc6HEInRJ4zg.thumb.jpg.f1164dfa8d158f74b673b974807fc567.jpg