Aristo 4-6-2 Pacific with Heavyweight Passenger cars

Jim Miller

Finally had the chance to run the new PRR passenger service. Still making repairs to layout due to hard winter and deer walking on things, such as track. Boy, the weeds are already bad this season. This train is totally Aristo and control and sound are by REVOlution................Jim

Great looking set Jim :)  I think that is one of the first times I've heard Revo sound and it sounds really good.  Aristocraft Heavyweight is still one of my more favorite pieces of rolling stock they make an excellent looking train set.

Ditto to what Chuck stated,  and glad to hear they are coming out with the heavyweights again, even if only the PRR, (which is the set I have).  Have gone through 3 different lighting scenario's, finally settling on the LED strips and additional people.  

Jim,

Looks great on your railroad!  I've been running my pacific + 6 heavyweights, but find the Pacific is a little 'slippery' on my tougher grades.  Could be smoke fluid or bad track or a combination of the two. 

Hi Rich,

Welcome again to the forums.  A heavyweight car was one made during a certain period of time before newer/lighter cars that could give good ride quality with improved suspension technology.  The heavyweights (at least in some) were known to have six inches of concrete in the floor to weight them down in part to ensure a smooth ride.  

Whenever you hear someone talking about a heavyweight they are talking about a passenger car that looks like this:

post-16-0-40043300-1401457904_thumb.jpg

Raymond

I have always liked the Aristo Heavyweight cars myself. I have a set of four i run with both of my Hudsons (MTH & USA Trains) and a long 10 car set I pull with my MTH Challenger. The 1:32 Challenger with these cars makes a great looking train! I have pics on my site of the Challenger set.

The cars are well made and have great detail. Because of their size they go good with both 1:32 & 1:29 engines.

Rich,

Aristocraft was the company that made the heavyweight cars in large scale.  They made two flavors of NYC heavyweight: two tone gray and an olive green.  The Olive green sold out very quickly, the two tone gray cars were more easily obtained.  However, none are available and there won't likely be more made for a while.  Jim and I both grabbed a full 6 car set of heavyweights last year, and I can say that the last batch of these cars were superior to the previous releases for a few reasons.  The biggest problem the older cars have is the power pick up for the lights is a bit flakey,  and you get a dance party like strobe light.  The last version included LED lights with voltage stabilizers and circutry to keep the lights from flickering.  Also, the cars have electrical connectors so you can basically string all the lights together.  Really nice.  You could get a set of the Pennsy's and then repaint them.  I've painted 3 of these cars, and it isn't that hard to do.  Takes some patience, though.

The prices at Polk's GeneratioNext are list price. Scott will be selling thru dealers. My best guess for now is $950 for 4 car set and $230 for add on cars. These are available at RLD's under Aristo at these prices. These are probably an older run so the next one maybe a little more expensive.

...................Jim