GE P42 phase VI Kitbash or slice up

rbrown7713

Thanks for the diagram, I appreciate it. I started out bad, as the batteries, at first said 15 volts and then the red led went out, thought something blew,  but checked the power again, and it was only 5 volts, so I am charging the batteries now.  Forgot how to download the firmware for the TIU, but I'll figure it out.  Found the sound file that I want, a PS3 Amtrak Genesis file, hope that works. Bob.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I have a new problem.  Put TIU 5.0 on the TIU and then tried to put the remote 5.0 on the remote and then got a message that my computer won't recognize the USB port.  Maybe my usb cable went bad. I don't know.  Fired up the engine and it found the SD90 loco, but the bell doesn't work.  Can't find the ditch lights, guess I'll have to reprogram the whole thing, or maybe download the Amtrak P42 loco, can't though my usb doesn't work with the tiu.  I don't know what the heck is going on. There is nothing wrong with the usb port because it works with other items, just not with the tiu. I'm tired, will try again tomorrow. Bob.

I have done that over and over, so suspect that maybe it is the 9 pin to usb adapter cable.  Does anyone have a pin out diagram?  Also, the dcs 5.0 loader program and files, can you use them over and over, or is for one upgrade only and then you have to download it again?  Just trying to figure out why is doesn't see the usb port. Bob.

They can be used again. There is a file for the TIU and another for the remote.

Is the TIU getting power? LED on?

Something about the automatic port thing I never understand. SOmetimes it works great and others it won't work. Try cycling power and try again is all I know. I'm not much help on computers.

Now, trying to load the P42 soundset and get a warning that - critical error, no engine on track, what is wrong.  Checked the wires and they are good.  It says tiu on com.4 and searching for engine and can't find it. says no engine on track.  I wonder if they have a bug in PS3.  I have loaded into PS2 a few years back and no trouble.  I will keep trying. Bob.

See if you can get the remote to talk to that engine maybe?

Yes there are some bugs with DCS 5.0

I had this exact issue last time. Of course, I can't remember how I fixed it.

Do you already have this engine (board set) loaded into the remote? Will it run?

The original SD 90 loco. responds properly from the remote. When I try to load the new P42 soundset, I get a, critical error, no engine on track.  In the bottom left, it looks like it can't find the loco, searching address, type, memory, all have ?? behind the word.  I called Rayman and he seems to be too busy, I offered to pay him, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet, maybe he doesn't do phone troubleshooting, I don't know.  I wish you could remember what happened with yours.  Do you think that this PS3 is so new, they won't let you download new soundsets into a different loco? I don't know what is going on. Bob.

No not too new. You do need the newer loaders to talk to PS3 (after 4.x?). You should use DC power, but I have used either.

When it wouldn't find a PS2, it was because the battery was dead. It needed to be charged if I remember correctly.

Just for the basics, you have to have the engine on track with channel #1, the TIU must be powered, and the track needs power too. I usually power the TIU with a aux wall wart.

I'm trying to remember how it finally located the engine to load the file. I swear it had something to do with the DC polarity. That shouldn't  be it though. Maybe check to make sure you have DC+ on the red input to channel #1.

I am not familiar with the channel, so do you mean engine one?  I think I have it on 4.  I don't know the procedure, but I will try to move it to one.  The only polarity is with the input 1 has to be correct, but going out to the loco., doesn't matter.  PS 3 has no on board battery. Bob.

I was describing the TIU channel #1. #1 needs to have power going in or the TIU can be powered from the aux input so the other channels will work.

Try a signal strength test using the engine and see how strong a number you get. If it is too low, you won't be able to swap files.

What revision is the TIU? (written on the bottom of it)

Are you using a bulb or filter if it's an older model?

I know that PS3 uses caps instead of a battery. Check to see that the engine will continue to play sounds for at least four seconds after the power is killed. I have seen engines that the caps have failed on.

Some of these things would show up if you couldn't write the sounds to the board but you're not even getting the TIU to find the engine?

It looks like revision .l, that is what is looks like, is that an ELL, or a one.  Or an "eye"  Don't know.  I have four TIU,s  , but no L. OK, I read those posts and it sounds like I need a rev. L or later, is that right?  It's nice to know someone else is having the same problem, maybe by watching those guys, my problem will be solved. Can the revision be changed, or is that in the hardware only.  By the way, that one error page is exactly what I am getting. Bob.

Ok, An I is the letter I which followed the H revision I believe? Then skipped to the "L" which is the newest. The L doesn't usually need any bulbs or filters. The older models all can be helped with them.

When an engine is on powered track, start it up, scroll to the menu, (oh boy, I'm guessing here from memory) system, track signal, and then select the engine you want to do the test. The sound will cut out or turn on and off as the test is running. There is a soft key that should appear on the remote for "exit" the test to end it. The engine doesn't have to move. You should get high numbers to be able to swap sound files.

from Ray's site (hope he's ok with this?)

http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Tips.htm#DCS_Software_and_Upgrade_TIU_Remote

Some steps to perform if you are having control problems:

1)  Perform a 'Track Signal' check with the engine running around the layout:

-  Start the engine running at the desired speed

-  Use the remote and press MENU -> SYSTEM -> TRACK SIGNAL

-  Note the track signal levels as it goes around the track.  You will see anything from '10'(best) to '1'(worst) to

"CHECK TRACK" which means the engine's return signal isn't making it back to the TIU.

NOTE:  If you encounter low track signal levels or get "CHECK TRACK" during the test, please read through Section I (Signal Strength)

at the top of this web page.  Read through all of it to get an idea on how to improve areas of trouble.

I am using the pickup wires to get power to the engine.  I guess I can still perform that test.  The guy in the O forum said that using an L version and Update 5.0 solved his problem so I just bought a rev. L and new MTH serial cable and will use off of my laptop, has a 9 pin on it. I will have to wait for a week.  I am going to try the test, and thanks for all of your help. Bob.

anytime, but I'm not the best as you have seen. There are personal reasons that I won't get into.

Using the "L" version makes things easier and better. The signal strength on the L is much better. You can still get use out of the older ones. I use them on my outer loops and have one at my workbench for testing engines.

Usually Ray helps me out. He goes above and beyond so I like dealing with him. When I order a new board, he will even load a file into it!

HOORAY,  the soundfile is loading as we speak.  I bought another computer for 45 and loaded all of the files on it and then by trial and error, got the right combination.  As it turns out, the first serial adapter that I tried, along with downloading the usb files, and reloading the TIU, 5.0 files, it is downloading.  It is not finished yet, but at least it is loading.  I will let you know if it finishes.  Boy, this is the hardest file that I have ever tried to install, 3 days of hell.  The setup is:  Windows 7, 64 bit,  usb port. I called MTH, no help. Bob.