GE P42 phase VI Kitbash or slice up

rbrown7713

The new P42 sounds are installed.  They sound very good.  I guess I have to rename the loco because the new sounds are under the old loco name.  Can I just call it the Genesis, or do I have to call it by the file name? Bob.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care for the term "delete". That term scares me.  I worked too hard to get this soundfile into the loco.  I did find a section where I can rename the loco. The alphabet turned up and I could replace the current name with "Any name"  Is that what you are referring to?  If that is correct, let me know and I will do that today.  Another thing.  Can I edit the control of the lights and choose the buttons for control?  That would be helpful. Is that information in the  Genesis loco user manual? Thanks Joe for all of the help, I am sure that your input and guiding me to forums aided in the successful loading of this file.  I am not sure if there was just one thing that I could identify that made it possible, probably a combination of many things. Oh well, it is in, that is all that I care about.  Bob.

Yes, you can write any name you wish in that section. If the loco ever gets deleted from the remote, it will go back to the name written in the board sound set I believe.

When I say "delete" from remote, I'm saying that will remove the loco from the remote. When an engine is added or re-added, it will load the info including the name from the sound file, automatically into the remote. There are things that get changed on the board itself, like the address for example. When you delete an engine, nothing changes on that board itself that I'm aware of.

Now upgrade kits are slightly different. Only Dealer loaders can write a name to the sound file loaded on the board. The regular user's loader, just loads the file and the name must be added by the user. When that engine gets deleted from the remote, so does that name. It is just stored in that particular remote.

I appreciate that info. Joe.  I have been trying to turn on the ditch lights on the P42, well according to the features, the Genesis doesn't have ditch lights.  The features on the SD 70 does include ditch lights.  Both state that they are "rule 17 lighting", what does that mean?  What do I have to do to install flashing ditch lights on the Genesis.  Electronics is SD70 and the soundfile is P42.

I believe that rule 17 says, the headlight must be dimmed when idling, and then go bright when moving, or something like that.

The ditch lights are in the "control" section of the menu if there's no softkey under more softkeys. I turn the ditch lights to "on" and they will be on when moving and flash when the horn is sounded. The ditch lights go off on PS3 engines when idling or not moving.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,414723

"Rule 17 is now 5.9.1+

5.9.1 Dimming Headlight
Except when the engine is approaching and passing over a public crossing at grade, dim the headlight during any of the following conditions:

1. At stations and yards where switching is being done.
2. When the engine is stopped close behind another train.
3. In non-signaled territory, when the engine is stopped on the main track waiting for an approaching train.
4. When approaching and passing the head end and rear end of a train on the adjacent track.
5. At other times to permit passing of hand signals or when the safety of employees requires.

5.9.2 Headlight Off
Turn the headlight off under either of the following conditions:

1. When the train is stopped in the clear of the main track to meet a train. However, an extinguished headlight does not indicate to an opposing train that a train is clear of the main track.
2. Within block system limits, when the train is stopped on the main track to meet a train approaching on the same track.

5.9.3 Headlight Failure
If the headlight on the train fails, ditch lights must be on, when so equipped. Headlight failure must be reported to the train dispatcher.

At night, if headlight and ditch lights fail to operate and no other unit can be used as the lead unit, continue movement with a white light displayed on the lead unit. Stop the train before each public crossing, so a crew member on the ground can provide warning until the crossing is occupied, unless:

Crossing gates are in the fully lowered position. or No traffic is approaching or stopped at the crossing.

5.9.4 Displaying Headlights Front and Rear
When engines are moving, crew members must turm on the headlight to the front and rear, but may dim or extinguish it on the end coupled to cars."

I thought it had to do with MTH trains, but it is a protocall for the big ones.  I don't think the Genesis has flashing ditch lights.  I can switch them on, but they don't flash, even with the horn. So maybe I just won't have flashing ditch lights.  I can't turn on the number board lights or the interior lights.  I am still trying to find out why.  I need a PS3 complete board diagram, the one that I have is a PS2, completely different. Bob. Thanks for the info.

MTH trains just emailed me back about loading the soundfile and asked me what I did to make it work.  I had to tell him that I wasn't sure because of all of the different things that I tried.  I am missing some lights, number board , interior, and ditch lights.  I finally got hold of a PS 3 board diagram from MTH, so tomorrow I will trace the wires from the 40 pin to see what I need.  Do all of the boards have the capability to have flashing ditch lights?, or just some of them?  I don't know, so I asked Jason at MTH and I will see what he says. Obviously I am not familiar with this board, but I will know more in a few days. Bob.

Well, I would say that all the PS3 boards have the capability, but the sound file has to activate them. Some railking files in the past didn't use all the lights.

I did have an older ps2 board from a railking that was supposed to have them, but that one never worked for me.

You do have the polarity correct? You say the headlight works so I'd guess you do.

Is the PS3 diagram you got from MTH different from the one in the PS3 diesel kit I posted above?

Which exact sound file did you load? Did you change the chain file too? (separate)

You are way ahead of me, sorry, I am a little slow.  The sound file that I downloaded did not have operational ditchlights, according to the features list.  I did find three Genesis locos. that haven't yet been released. do have operational ditch lights. The engines are listed, but the sound file will not be available until the engine is released.  According to the upgrade wiring diagram, PS 3, the ditchlight pins are number 39 and 5, and they go to the small light board.  There is a Genesis PS2 sound file with operating ditch lights, but I will wait for the Newer PS 3 sound files to download.   So, my board is wire for the ditch lights, but like you say, I need the correct sound file.  Now, tell me all that you know about downloading the chain file.  I read something about those, but I don't fully understand what they are about. I just received my trucks from NWSL and will be installing them and trying to figure out the timing/speed circuit. Bob.

To be honest, I never even had heard of "chain files" until the new PS3 boards came out. I believe they were separated from the sound file so the boards would retain their operating characteristics like speed curves. I'm really not sure which controls the lighting functions?

I have a PS2 file loaded into my PS2 Genesis and I have operating ditch lights. PS3 boards can load PS2 sound files. I believe that might be a waste of the PS3 board's bigger meg capacity. You could load that file to test. I bet you don't wish to try after all you went thru.

You just happen to be right at the newest release of a Genesis in the latest MTH O scale 2017 V1 catalog. Those are coming. There are other recent releases of Genesis like the Amtrak anniversary model. I will look to see if MTH made any available yet. I bet you already have.

here's the anniversary Amtrak with PS3 below

You found it. The only thing is that in the feature section, it doesn't say anything about ditch lights, but this is proof that the ditch lights work.  Do you know the owner of this loco?  The video that I looked at also had working ditch lights. But the file that I loaded did not. I downloaded the sound file, so I guess that I will try it. Bob. 

I downloaded the eng. number 66 sound file and no ditch lights, but MTH sent me another file and said that it should have ditch lights, so I am going to download it now.  I am having no problems downloading sound files now. Bob.

I might still be confused.  Is the soundfile, ending in .mth, the only file that I have to load?, or are there also other files?  Sorry I am so stupid. Bob.  Another question.  Are the led lights, the round ones the same, as far as voltage and resistance, as the little flat ones?  The little flat ones were used on the SD 70 for ditch lights, but the ones that I have to use are round. Bob.

Sorry, putting up Christmas lights outside.

The .mth file is the sound file.

the chain file is with it when you extract the folder.

It's sounding like somehow the chain file may have got messed up, but I'm still not sure which file controls the lights. I really think it's the soundfile and you may have something connected wrong or the file is not activating the lights?

I bought a early PS3 board and the ditch lights as well as some others did not work. I posted that here and got complaints from others who said I was wrong. MTH had told me that the aftermarket kits did not have all the lighting functions activated. I did finally get them to work and I thought it was threw MTH sending me a file. I believe the file they sent you should activate them.

I don't understand how they once worked and we lost them?

I hoped Ray would chime in about the chain files. I will ask on the OGR.

Something must have gotten broken because even the SD70 file won't let the ditch lights work.  I remember that led's have to have a resistor for certain voltages. Are these circuits built with the resistor built in?  I will keep trying.  I have let MTH know what is going on and they are trying to help me also.  I also asked them if the factory board diagram is the same as the upgrade diagram. I just don't know what is going on. Thanks for all of your help. I am going to read about the chain files.  OK, I just read about the chain files and that might be my problem, it says that chain files control lights. I will have to see how to download the chain files. Bob.

I didn't change any of the wiring on the 39, and 5, pins for the ditch lights, but I did cut the old lights off and try to use the round led's. Can't remember what plug positions they plug into.   OKAY, after loading the chain files, I now have control of the ditch lights, but I am unclear how the wiring is. Can't get the ditch lights to come on at all.  I have headlights, number board lights, interior lights, and I can control all of them.  Can you please describe where the wires go from pin 39 and pin 5.  are the lights in parallel or series?  Do they plug into one plug or do the plug into two plugs?  Could you describe the type of lights that your ditch lights are and  send a picture where the lights plug into and a picture of the bulbs, that would be helpful.  Hooray, thanks for all of your help.  Ray called and clarified a few things and was helpful.

Ditch lights are in a different menu. With engine showing on the DCS remote screen press the menu button > scroll to control and depress thumbwheel > scroll to ditchlights and depress thumbwheel > then S1 thru S4 buttons set how you want the ditchlights to flash. Once highlited just lock in the settings with the thumbwheel then. After that just hit the engine button and see if they work.

Note with PS3 the ditch lights only come on when loco is moving forward.