GE P42 phase VI Kitbash or slice up

rbrown7713

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed the PS3 board in the Challenger and while trying to hook up the short wires, the front drivers rolled over and busted one of the articulating arm studs off, so I made another repair, this time I did it.  I ordered a 3 inch speaker for the Challenger, but saw that it already had a 3 inch, so I retrofitted the P42 with the new 3 inch speaker, that might make it sound better.  Still working on the side rails, should have something to look at in a few days. Bob.

Here is the 3 Inch speaker installed, but the O gauge metal mount for the the board, I am afraid that it will effect the permanent magnet in the speaker because I can feel a magnetic pull on it when put the metal board mount in place.  I am going to replace the metal with wood.  It is very close to the board.  Does anyone think that the permanent magnet effect have an effect on the performance of the sound board? Let me know please. Bob.

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

I always have worried more about the speaker performance being affected by any metal close to the speaker itself.

I am modifying a F40PH for Amtrak don't forget. Someone making me masks for the lettering has me stalled. I will paint the silver on that when I get the masks.

With you guys sharing your work, I'm happy to post mine. It should help make yours look even better!

Bob, I've mounted boards directly over speaker magnets like that with no problems...but I use a piece of say 1/8" plastic under the board mount. Well with a Genesis I mounted the boards to the rear of the loco ontop the weights.

Glad to see you coming along with the build!

Thanks Chuck.  I have to keep the board in the center as I am mounting the batteries in the front and the rear, I am also mounting the board on a piece of 1/8th inch plywood rather than the metal O gauge mount, so it should be OK.  Should be finished and rolling on the track in about two weeks.  Bob.

Here are some pictures of the repair that I made to the articulating elbow for the front driver on the Challenger.  I broke it when the drivers rolled over trying to plug in the short wires to connect them to power.  I have since lengthened the wires so that wouldn't happen again. I turned a T shaped pin on the lathe and then drilled out the old remaining pin and then inserted the new pin and secured with a screw, good as new.   I made the new pin out of Delrin, stuff that is almost bullet proof. Bob.

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Here is how I mounted the battery boxes for the P42 and the Challenger. The battery box for the Challenger is in the tender. The TIU for the P42 will be  in the second P42.  The TIU for the Challenger will be in a PFE reefer. Bob.

IMG_0759.JPG