GE P42 phase VI Kitbash or slice up

rbrown7713

I will try that, but one thing, I am not hooked up to my motors yet, so I can't go forward, so I guess I will have to wait until I install my motors, but this is information that I haven't heard before, so I greatly appreciate it.  Can I get them to come on with out forward movement with the throttle?  Thanks for this information. Bob.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditch light wires are separate. One wire of each bulb goes to it's function (wire #5 or 39).

They only are active with the engine moving. The board may not know that there's no motor(s) connected for load. But it does look at the tach for speed. So that's over my head on how that would work! I have seen boards shut down or act up, when they put out power to the motors and don't get an expected result.

According to the schematic, there are two separate grounds.  I am glad you told me about the timing on the motor, I was about to hook up a motor to test the ditch lights.  Maybe it is time to set up the timing circuit on the truck. Thank you.

SUCCESS!  Hooked up a motor with the timing wheel.  Throttled forward and no ditch lights until I turned on the headlights and then flashing ditch lights. Now I can sleep. Thanks everyone for your input and certainly led to my success. Bob.

Here is the tach mounted in the NWSL housing.  I have .080 clearance  from pickup to wheel.  The sensor can also be removed as I used the original O gauge clip for mounting.  I am concerned about getting enough light for the sensor to register.  How sensitive are these sensors?  Will I have to provide an entrance for some light to enter? Any help would be appreciated. Bob.

IMG_0695.JPG

I didn't think. I should have known that because in the Army we used infra red goggles and was taught that they generate their own light.  Oh well, that's what comes with old age. I did hook up the NWSL truck with it completely enclosed and it ran perfectly with .080 clearance.  So now all that I have to do is mount the trucks and make some side rails, and a few other things. Bob.

Here are some pictures of the first part of the mold.  I filled the inside of the parts with clay because I don't need for them to be hollow, just preserved some of the screw holes.  Used some F7 ladders, the LGB ones too big. I have poured the second part of the mold a few minutes ago, so I think I am finished with molds on this project. Bob.

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

There was always something about the original that made it look wrong? It looked like it was too high? or had too much space under the shell?

Sometimes there's concessions made to run on tight curves I think?

Yours looks mean! (compliment) I'm building a new 3 rail loop of O scale in the basement or I'd be chopping something up! Again, very motivating, Nice work.

Here are some pictures of the first part of the mold.  I filled the inside of the parts with clay because I don't need for them to be hollow, just preserved some of the screw holes.  Used some F7 ladders, the LGB ones too big. I have poured the second part of the mold a few minutes ago, so I think I am finished with molds on this project. Bob.

Thanks Joe, I appreciate that.  Guess what I am doing now.  I am slicing up another one. These things run around in pairs and besides, I need it to house the TIU.  This time I cut the 1/2 inch from the middle, saved two long cuts. Don't know which phase yet, but think maybe the wave. The mold for the side frames came out good, will be pouring some parts today. Bob.

IMG_0708.JPG

Joe, it sounds like you have worked things out.  I am using the 5.0 loader download.  I am using windows 7, 64 bit and the new procedure only likes the cable that is a  9 pin adapter to USB.  I put everything on my desktop, easier for me to find it.  You probably know this, but the zip files that hold the chain files, are not unzipped, you just click on the .zip file.  The zip file with the sound file, you do unzip. I have found this out with everyone's help and trial and error.  I am running into some problems cutting up the new Genesis, couldn't remember how I cut the cab up, but am working that out.  I thought that I had the cab correctly cut and then compared to the 42 and was not a match, but I am correcting that.  Thank God for plastic, can make any corrections. Bob.