next big MTH steamer and big diesels?

enginear joe

I know that MTH said they will produce a smaller steamer and I'll be happy to see it. Other forums have constant posts about the whims of each guy's wants. So, if MTH would produce a bigger steamer down the road, can we discuss what would be the best?

I personally always liked larger steam. Really just a diesel guy, but who doesn't like the big brutes that were created to advance train movements. I would hope for a MTH Allegheny myself. I see that 3rd rail has a big SP AC9 on their order page for O scale. That's a big brute that I'd consider buying. Ray posted about a big Y6 that may get restored. That would be another cool engine to see come from MTH.

So, what's your favorite big steamer???

post-10-0-73994700-1400898608_thumb.jpg

Great topic Joe :)   This is one of my more favorite things to talk about as it allows us to talk about our favorite engines.  

The AC9 has always been one of my favorite too, always loved the look.  I'm with you I've always liked the bigger steam and it's usually what I run when I'm outside.  

I had always wished Aristocraft had made a Y6 instead of a Y3 as I really like the look of the Y6 with its large front cylinders and cylinder piping between them and large coal tender.  

I'm trying to think what might be there next one if they were to do an articulated... Of all the big articulated steam, the Allegheny stands out (like you mentioned), N&W Y6, AC-9 and Cab forward.  I've often wondered how well the Cab forwards sell as because of their uniqueness I've wondered about their overall mass appeal.  I guess you could include the N&W A Class as well.  Regardless I would spring for one of any of those for sure :)  I'd still like to see a UP9000 (4-12-2) but that's way out there I know hehe.

BTW, don't be surprised to see another run of MTH Big Boys in either the 2014 or 2015 catalogs ;)

I'd settle for any of those mentioned! If they make the N&W Y's then I hope they also make the aux. water tenders! 

Also like to see a U.P. FEF as MTH already has the tender tooling made.

My all time favorite would be to see the DM&IR 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone in 1:32  :)

post-23-0-48410600-1401011368.jpg

Boy I hope they re- run the big boys. The stars may finally align and I'll get my hands on one!!! I'd better start saving for it.

Let's just say I don't think there is any question that it was their best selling One Gauge engine.  When they do their next re-run of a steam model I'm almost certain it will be the Big Boy based on what I've been told.  I know that it continues to be the number 1 engine people are looking for and that I get asked about.

I've seen videos of the last DMIR Yellowstone on it's last run, great looking engine.

I still don't have any MTH locomotives, or any 1:32nd scale at all, but with the lack of new 1:29th scale I will be very tempted if/when MTH starts producing reasonably priced 1:32 again. Let's just say I regret not buying some of it in the past!

For re-runs, I'm still looking for an SP Daylight, but leaning more towards Accucraft at this point if the new passenger cars actually get made (I have some on pre-order). I also think a UP Challenger in gray with the smoke deflectors and a passenger train would be high on my list.

For new models, an AC-12 Cab Forward would be at the top of my list. AC-9's are also a favorite of mine so buying either one of those would be a no-brainer, even in 1:32th scale. :) I've ever got my 4-year old hooked on wanting a Cab Forward, and frequently asking to go see the real one in the museum (only 30 minutes from home). Oh, and he also wants a DDA40X but that's off topic for a steamers discussion. :)

I think MTH should focus a bigger steamers though, since a lot of people do mix 1:29 and 1:32 and a larger locomotive is going to look better with out of scale 1:29th scale cars. A smaller locomotive, like the new Accucraft SP Mogul I keep looking at, is just so small that it wouldn't mix well with 1:29th.

As much as I like the big old steamers,  I would really like MTH or someone to make a model of our favorite local steamer.  I'll take this one for freight:

and I'll take this one for passenger service!

Nice videos, Mark. Beautiful steamer.

Steamer: Anything.

Diesel: UP gas turbine, third generation, A+B+tender. I could pounce on that one  B)

And since we are dropping hints to MTH, let me take the opportunity to recommend modern European freight cars, especially German and Swiss. These are the two countries driving the European gauge market right now (as I see it), and most manufacturers focus on older rolling stock. We are slowly seeing more modern rolling stock, but I believe there is an opportunity to fill a gap in the market. I know it doesn't help you guys from the US much, but if MTH could get some revenue, that can't be all bad.

Jens

Jens, a 10 coupled drive steam engine could serve as the basis for the 1924 Baldwin 2-10-0 of the Strasburg Railroad and also as the basis (maybe) for both 2-10-0 and 2-10-2T German models.  However, I am not sure if the wheel base and wheel diameters are the same...

Oh, absolutely, but I am good with model steamers for now.

I was just admiring the loco in your video. I appreciate a balanced, harmonic design, and the Strasburg #90 is one such design.

(Heh, I can almost smell the burning coal  :) )

Jens

• 6 months later...

I personnaly would like them to turn out a Pennsylvania RR Hyppo or big 2-10-0 with a long coast to coast tender to haul my coal drags  up to Galitzin; especially so I could double head them and have some pushers at the rear of a 50 car freight Wow! Next on my list would be a J1 2-10-4 hired for just about the same job, could be on the point with a hyppo or two pushing the cabin car. Of course I would also go for a Santa Fe 2-10-4 because the PRR leased them to fix a traffic surge. But also because I like santa Fe modern power. Why do railfans only like articulateds,big riggid wheel based  locos were just as impressive. A PRR Q2 weighs more and has much more power than a Chalenger. almost as much as a big boy. Don't forget that the J1 is derived from a C&O prototype which MTH could offer also, and that the whole design is really a beefed up Nickel Plate or Van Sweringen berkshire. So you could make all three with same drivers valve gear leading and trailing truck and probably a lot more components. These were some of the most succesfull all time steam power. And I am quite sure a hyppo would have sold a lot better than the triplex. Also the Daylight could very easely become an RF&P governor,n some really stunning east coast power. Unfortunatly the drivers are different, so you can't kitbash.

• 2 weeks later...

I would buy a big Pennsy power engine. I would buy the 2-10-4 and would probably love it. I would have to guess that at least some of the drivers would need to be blind. It would be cool if they came with extra drivers to swap out. I wonder what the minimum radius would be? ( I've got 14-15ft on the mains).

There are good reasons to release the articulids when a lot of G scale layouts are built with tiny curves. Personally, I would have bought bigger curves just to satisfy an engine that I wanted. Maybe even the Strasburg #90 2-10-0 would need decent curves in G?

I can't help but dream about if MTH had released their whole line-up of O scale also in G. There would be so much more. Maybe someday??

post-10-0-82114700-1420081499.jpg

I think the best you can hope for is re-issues of items from the past. Whatever sold the best will probably be run again. I would think Big boy 4014 would be the first out of the chute, should have had it out by now, already missed some of the publicity.  Could advertise it more, their budget for advertising seems to be a small ad in GR you can hardly see.

Yes engenear Joe, when I see what MTH has offered in O scale it makes my mouth water, all the box cab PRR electrics, the Baldwin centipedes, the sharknoses, the Baldwin transfer switchers, and of course all the PRR steamers: J1 ,Q2 and many others, even the H10s. If only there wasn't this depression.... We should be entitled to sign up for another life! Then we might see it happen who knows?

Good idea to use large radius though, whatever you model, because it operates much better and especially because it looks much better. Alas the manufacturers have to cater to the miriads of folks who still use sharp curves, hence the articulateds. But using them on large curve improves their esthetics tremendously. Why people who do outdoor layouts don't sistematically go to larger radiuses beats me completely. In many cases there is no restriction at all. I adopted on one end of my layout an 11' radius curve (There is a picture of that curve in the rolling stock> improving MTH freight cars forum) and I plan to enlarge it to at least17' radius as soon as I retire. I did this because of the lay of the land was at a 10% avererage gradient , but I have found a solution to that. It is a big undertaking though meaning quite a lot of earth to move. I sure hope MTH success with their new items. PRR Hypos 2-10-0 had blind drivers on 2nd 3rd and 4th drivers too.

Jerry,

You are right.  I would expect the Big Boy to be re-issed.  Maybe the Daylight and the Hudson.  I would love to see them do the N&W J, based on the 4 coupled drive they used for the other northerns.