enginear joe

70-2092-1         Chicago Burlington & Quincy -VO 1000 Diesel w/Protosound3.0
70-2093-1         Pennsylvania - VO 1000 Diesel w/Protosound3.0
70-2094-1         Santa Fe - VO 1000 Diesel w/Protosound3.0
70-2095-1         Southern Pacific - VO 1000 Diesel w/Protosound3.0

all cancelled! Yipes.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

If a person chose not to order pre order is there still a likely hood that they would be able to locate the engine easily and purchase it after the release. The market appears to be quite small and i would assume that production runs would reflect that. It seem almost as if these engines are quite limited and would not last long. I am trying to get a feel for how urgent buying what you want is, and how long popular engines usually last for before being completely gone. It would help me to prioritize how i purchase future pieces and in what sequence i should do it. I also got to thinking since i have a interest in the euro stuff as well, is there any reason mth has not gotten into the euro g scale market. I noticed some of the euro stuff in 1:32 so there is clearly a market but only see them in the smaller scales. Also with the 1000 being canceled does this mean that engine will most likely never be produced again unless their g sales increase dramatically?

I would say , Mike , that the reason MTH does not "do" Euro outline is because that market is very very well served already with the like's of Brawa, Piko Marklin/LGB and such others which are already serving that market. Plus some of these companies make models at a astounding detail level that to compete, MTH would have to at least equal that level and also at a price point to match as well. This would also include shipping to the said market and then making a profit to meet MTH's levels of margin, or expectation at least. Shipping is a killer for any one international and is my main motivation behind what I buy / do not buy. To go to an extreme, I would like to purchase a magazine that was printed in 1958. I could buy it for $2 USD and the shipping is...wait for it...$12 USD. WTF. I am not buying it. A set of Aristo Heavywieghts.. best price I found, $900 USD. Shipping...$700USD. This HAS to be looked at from the MTH angle to even compete with the makers entrenched in Europe. Also you would have to ask oneself , how many in the State's alone model Euro outline in 1:32. Not to many. (IMHO). Aristocraft tried to compete in the Euro market with a British outline Dismal and to really wonder what the hell they were thinking, tried it with a 1:29 scale model in a market where, Scale to Gauge is almost sacred. (Look at the live steam market, if it isn't 1:32 or 1,20.3 scale, almost will not sell)

These cars from the 2013 catalog are supposed to ship by the end of the month or early October  :)

Item No. 70-75036 Norfolk Southern 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75037 Norfolk Southern 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75038 Norfolk Southern 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75042 Santa Fe 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75043 Santa Fe 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75044 Santa Fe 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75045 BNSF 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75046 BNSF 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75047 BNSF 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75048 Union Pacific 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75049 Union Pacific 4-Bay Hopper Car

Item No. 70-75050 Union Pacific 4-Bay Hopper Car

Mike:  On the Pre-order part my guess is that if a person waited they might be ok but do think MTH along with the other mfgs are probably producing fewer units per production run (given how things are now) so if you wait I would try and order as soon as you feel you can after they are released.  Pre-orders aren't too big a deal as at least like for myself I only ask 20% as a deposit so you're not putting down the entire amount and waiting.  In my case in the future catalogs where there are things I want to get I will be sure to place my preorder to make sure I have the item I want reserved.  Getting preorders in earlier will encourage MTH to make additional units in the production runs which would mean they won't run out as soon.  Now it is possible some models could sell out immediately by the time the order arrives as MTH had multiple shipments of the Big Boy back when they were doing them as I received my first two in one shipment then had to wait another period of time for the third one to arrive.  So in that case they sold out on the first delivery of them and I had my preorders very shortly after they were announced.  From what I recall they did have some stock on the Big Boys after all current orders were filled but I think they were one of the first to sell out.  

As far as how long do popular models last in stock, MTH for example announced the GS4/GS2 in the 2004 catalog and proceeded to include it in the 2005 and 2006 catalogs.  I'm not sure if that was just from left over stock (I think it was carryover) or if it included additional production runs.  So they had stock at least a year on those.  I just can't say what they will do going forward as far as production numbers as the economy isn't what it was back then.  

On the VO1000, it all has to do with the preorder levels they see, if they see tepid demand for a model they are proposing they will just cancel it.  My guess is they may not attempt to put it in a catalog at least for a while again.  Can never say never.  Since they have the tooling done for them the cost to rerun should be less than new models so I could see them trying again later.  Things may get better preorder wise if the economy further improves down the road.

On the Euromarket I think Grant provided some good insight.  MTH did enter the Euro market in O gauge but those engines dont have the size and weight G scale does so that keeps shipping down some.  My guess is they likely would not enter Euro in G at least not for the near future.  

Thanks Chuck for posting the production release info :)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad they finally mentioned something on their facebook regarding g scale, the shells look nice. Trying to think of how i could incorporate a few dash 8s into my future plans. What are the odds they will release a 2015 catalog in g since it is their anniversary and all? 

I don't have specific info yet on a next catalog, but based on everything I know so far I do think they are going to release another one here in the near future.  Stay tuned.

That would be great news!

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, we're rapidly running out of days ...

F7s have slipped to January-March timeframe. I'm kinda surprised they didn't adjust the Dash 8 schedule while they were at it. I mean - surely they must be able to look two weeks ahead and see what's happening.

Are we seeing the fallout of the great offshore manufacturer kershuffle a while back? That would explain a lot.

Jens

FYI I have DCS sets, TIUs and remotes back in-stock.

Regarding production shipments.  The shipping model has been the same for many years.. The new product is announced in the catalog and within 1 to 2 years the product is available for purchase.  In this latest case I think there was a delay in trying to collect as many pre-orders as possible with the order for production likely going in around Sept/Oct this year.(that's when the VO1000 was officially canceled)  So it will likely be a few more months before they actually arrive.  This is not any different from when even the Big boys were originally announced, it was about 2 years from the time it was announced till it shipped to the customers.  In the case of some of the rolling stock from this latest catalog we are right at about 1 year from announcement.  

MTH does the same date slips with O gauge too.  The fact of the matter is if they set an official delivery date of 18 months right off the bat from the initial catalog announcement, people would do what they normally do and that is delay placing their pre-orders which would negatively impact their ability to get an accurate reading of the actual demand for each particular engine/model/roadname.  This would lead them to think they either don't have enough interest in a particular model and should cancel or they would under-produce the quantities needed for what is actually wanted.  I've lived long enough to learn that there are always reasons why things are done a certain way regardless of what it is and there is usually a whole lot more that goes into the 'why' then we typically understand.  At least with MTH you get a formal announcement of a firm commitment to make a certain selection of product and within a year or two you always see it (unless something has really unusually low pre-orders).  The VO1000 is an excellent example of why placing pre-orders is important, in some cases it can mean the difference between a model being made and being canceled.  Also, with regards to people holding off ordering items, in the past folks have gotten used to the G scale mfgs having stock on everything all the time and they could then delay their purchases month after month, year after year.  Now with how things are some of these same folks are upset some things are no longer available, even though the things they wanted was available for years.  It's a bit of a different world now after the economic collapse and it just is what it is.  It's all based on the economics and size of the market.  Fortunately there are still a few like MTH still making product and let's hope demand stays strong enough to keep them producing new stuff.  I think given the demise of Aristocraft, it has created an opportunity for MTH.  They are the only ones now that can/will make steam that is anywhere near affordable and the only ones that have all their engines fully decked out with sound, lights, full size G scale smoke units and full digital control all already built in from the factory and all with a control system that isn't prohibitively expensive.  That saves the end user a lot of money and hassle having to pay people to install and configure after market sound & control in their engines.

Have a great New Year too :)

Raymond