Show us your engines!!

enginear joe

Most have seen this E8, but you said show me your engines, so maybe someone else has not seen them. They are 1:32 and battery powered MTH electronics.  Robert Brown.attachicon.gifIMG_1442.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1433.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1434.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1472.JPG

Very nice work, that is exactly what I'm holding out for is E units with B units.  Hopefully MTH makes them at some point.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

No, they don't open, they are castings from a supplier that doesn't exist anymore.  I make my locomotive sides on a Bridgeport mill, but when I first started, I made the molds with a router.  Any one can do it with the proper setup.  You can make beautiful molds for the sides of an E8, both A and B with a router.  The rivets would be done by hand with a ball mill.  I have done it.  A lathe would be nice for the portholes.  The molds that I make are nothing more than Bondo.  The nice thing about Bondo is that if you make a mistake, you simply fill the error and recut.   Ask Jerry, he has seen one of my molds.  They can be made easily with a router and accurate setups.  I will try to find some pictures.  I think I have posted some somewhere on this forum.  I found the pictures.  Don't be afraid to experiment.  This mold and side can be made with a router, bondo, and epoxy resin and micro balloons.  The brown side was made from the Bondo mold.post-547-0-28445900-1427120660.jpgpost-547-0-54668800-1427120672.jpgpost-547-0-24344400-1427120688.jpgpost-547-0-89058200-1427120701.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned before that the next loco that I build, F7, or E8, or E7, I would use my own cab I found a picture of it. I thought I would share. This was made by hand of about 8 evolutions until I saw something that I liked and this is it.post-547-0-43264700-1428240830.jpg

Hello engineer joe. I can't sell anything at this time, sorry. My enjoyment is not only building locos and passenger cars, but also patterns and molds, these hobbies are so time consuming that all I can do is show my projects and maybe share some ideas on how to make molds and patterns.  I am busy enough just building my own stuff.  I have to build about 20 passenger cars, several locos, finish the molds for the viaduct, an outdoor layout that will take me probably 2 years to build, plus finish my house,  and all of this before I die.  I am 70.  I will probably have to live to be 120 to finish all of my projects.  You have probably read some of my comments about making molds and patterns, I encourage anyone to experiment and build their own molds.  It's not that difficult and very much fun and a satisfying project.  If one doesn't have a mill, it can be done with a router with some careful setups.  I built my first E8 B unit mold with a router and the 1945 Pullman observation car all with a router.  The jig for the boat tailed observation car was the most difficult tool I have ever built, but it worked.  I used flat plastic sheets for spacers for the fluting and a curved surface for the curves.  I have since thrown away that tool because it kept getting in the way.  I kick myself for doing that, because it was a piece of art in itself.  After using that tool to make a mold it was useless, so I tossed it.  As to the Dash 8 trucks, I don't think the wheel base is correct.  The ones to use is the NWSL 3 axle truck made specifically for the E's, about 240.00 a pair I believe. The pattern for the mold of this observation car was made with a router, no mill.post-547-0-26033400-1428459051.jpgpost-547-0-06417300-1428459069.jpg

I know some, who make molds keep them a secret, but I don't. All of my mold methods were created by me and some are easy and some not, but I don't keep secrets, I am willing to share them. The most unique method is machining or routing the molds that I make out of Bondo, so easy. One day, when I have a lull making my projects, I will make a video on how to make a side for an F7 or E series with a router, if there is any interest. Then one could make as many as they want. The problem is not making the sides, that is easy, the problem is making the cab. Making the cab is like sculpting. I suppose an experienced artist/sculptor could do it right the first time. Well I am not that good, it took me about 8 versions and molds until I got something that resembled a cab. Of course, it is easier to make the sides of diesel locos on a Bridgeport mill with digital readout, the method that I use now, but when I first started, I use a router and a table saw. The spacers cut, measured carefully on a table saw and then inserted on the router jig to make a cut. The skirts are made by looking at pictures of examples. The roofs of my Pullman passenger cars are made of 1 inch cuts of wood and then pieced together depending on how long the roof is. The mold that I made, I made with the boattail end on it, so that if I wanted to make another observation car, I could. The mold is extra long, therefore I can make a regular car or the observation. I also have a universal mold for the side of a Pullman standard, both a smoothie and one with flutes without windows, so I can make any car, just have to cut different combinations of windows. I also made a pattern of the Pullman dome, just a section that can be cut into the Pullman roof. I make more molds than I do cars, because I haven't had the time, but when I finish some of my other projects, I will do what I like best, and that is making passenger trains.

I know some, who make molds keep them a secret, but I don't. All of my mold methods were created by me and some are easy and some not, but I don't keep secrets, I am willing to share them. The most unique method is machining or routing the molds that I make out of Bondo, so easy. One day, when I have a lull making my projects, I will make a video on how to make a side for an F7 or E series with a router, if there is any interest. 

I'd be interested in that video.  

-Kevin.

I feel forums are a good place to share. Sure has helped me a lot, reading/seeing what others have done. Can be a great inspiration, especially to those of us who are not near others who could help.

• 1 month later...