Show us your engines!!

enginear joe

Jens,

You should go.  Wernigerode is very quaint.  I spent a weekend there.  Rode up the Brocken mountain twice the first day.   Second day, I rode the 2nd train of the day one stop past Drei Anne Hone, and ran 8 miles to the summit of the Brocken ( I didn't realize how straight the trail was vs the railway line, so I had to divert to a quiet, steep rocky path.) Once on the summit (and I ran all the way up, passing many cyclists and shocked German pilgrims, slapped the highest rock a high-five, and then turned around and ran right back down again.  All told, it was a 13 mile run, which was rewarded with two biers and two wursts at the railway station.

Summer seems to be the time to go.  Their schedule is very busy and you can buy a weekend pass for Eur 64, which allows you to ride as often as you like over the entire line.  On my final day,  I rode down to Nordhousen, but my HSB railcar didn't go all the way to the main station, and I ended up a lost traveler at a wind turbine blade factory.  No joke!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a narrow gauge train all the way to the top at Brocken, hauled by 2-10-2 steamers, and you ran up and down the mountain?

You, Sir, are really weird  :D

But seriously, I'm not into running myself, but it must be a great place for doing it. The scenery looks fantastic on all the pictures I've seen. And the beer and the wursts after the run must have tasted like a meal for champions.

Summer - sure, but winter can certainly be great too, if you luck out with the weather. Try a picture search for "Brocken winter" and see what I mean  B)

Anyway, it's certainly within range, and often in my thoughts, so maybe some day ...

Best regards

Jens

Jens,

Well, I guess I am a little weird.  After all, I do play trains outside in the backyard!! Ha! 

Yes, I ran up the line from Schierke to the summit of the Brocken.   Here's their schedule:

http://www.hsb-wr.de/fileadmin/user_upload/images/Mehr_erfahren/Fahrplaene/HSB_325_So_2014_Dritte_bis_19.03.14.pdf

The railway miles (km's) show it is 14 km to the summit, and 440m elevation gain (1320 ft approx).  That makes a round trip 28km (approx 17.5 miles).  With nothing to do that Sunday, and no where to be, and the beautiful mountain,  I took that 8:55 Wernegerode train, and disembarked at Schierke.  I knew I had 10 minutes head start before the train would start, and chose a path that paralleled the tracks.  This was a gentle climb for a runner, 2% or so for the train.  I covered about a mile and a half in that time, and then the train came thundering through the tall pine trees.  At about 3k,  I came to a sign that indicated the summit of the Brocken was about 5km away.  That was much shorter than the railway mileage, and it is because the railway had to climb around the shoulder of the mountain, and then do a complete circle on the Brocken itself to gain the elevation. Undaunted, I turned, crossed the tracks, and proceeded down a rock slide until I was certain that I was really lost.  Also, I knew I would eventually have to climb back up!  I did have a small map of the  national park, so I made my way to another trail that would get me where I needed to go.  I thought following the tracks would be very dangerous considering the speed and the frequency of the trains.

I climbed a beautiful trail and linked up again with the railway as it starts its circle of the mountain.  On this part of the trail, there were many people. Some were hiking, some biking.  No one running.  Just me. The trail undulates and another train roared past us.  I reached a paved road that was much steeper.  Still, I kept running.  Many people were taking breaks as they climbed.  The mountain bike riders were struggling in 'granny gear'.  I slowed my pace, but kept running, and was passing the riders.  I hit the summit in a little over an hour (and I estimate I ran about 8 miles to get there).  High-fived the rock at the actual summit, and then ran down to the concession stand where I purchased a liter of water.  In early September,   it was about 45 degrees on the summit (5-10C).  I drank my water, and did not linger. 

Running down the mountain is a bit of a misnomer.  For really, what I was doing was a controlled fall.  I zoomed down to the railway crossing, and decided to keep going straight (as opposed to followign the tracks on the undulating trail).  I picked my way along the trails, and found my way back to the Shierke station.  It was 15 degrees warmer there (nearly 60-65), and I had time before the next train was headed down.  So, I found a bench situated across from the station in the sun, and had my two bratwurst and pils.  Here's a selfie I took of myself post run! 427906_4514416668562_351703199_n.jpg

It was one of the best runs I've ever had and I hope to repeat it some day.  Next time I may try and run all the way from Drei Anne Honne, since it really wasn't that much further. 

• 4 weeks later...

• 7 months later...

Hi Seth and welcome to the forum :)

See the "Website - General Help and Info" area.  There are a number of pinned posts there that explain how to post pictures and videos.

There is also a "Testing" area where you can practice posting.

Let me know if you need more help.

• 2 weeks later...

Bjorn, can we see a closeup of your Santa Fe F3 set? 

Both A and B units, please.  :wub:

Jens

I’m sorry Jens! I didn’t notice your request until yesterday. This is what I have for now.

Bjorn

post-69-0-86781600-1421920158_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Boy those E units look nice Robert, did you make them or kit bash them?

I heard that St. Charles station made some and that also Great American Trains turned out a few before they stopped manufacturing. I would really like an E unit in 1/32 scale as they were standard Passenger power on PRR from the late forties on.

And I remember riding behind ex Pennsy ones in New York Boston service in the early Amtrak days when I attended NYU and visited my mother who; lived in Boston then.

Congratulations on a beautifull job Robert.

I scratched bashed them.  I used an MTH cab and the rest is from a mold that I made from scratch.  The electronics is MTH battery powered, TIU is in the baggage car, batteries are in the B unit. I used NWSL three axle trucks.  Thanks for the interest. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.